Rear end Gears

rrudholm

Apr 23, 2006
What should I expect to pay for labor? I will be supplying the gears. The shop will be supplying the install kit with bearings and clutch bushings. How many labors hours should this take?

• Sponsors (?)

my guy says it's a 4 hour job and he charges $70 per hour.

but you should also redo the bearings and stuff while you are in there so you can say, "that is done" and not worry about it for another 100,000 miles

Installing gears isn't that hard, I wish I could make 70 dollars an hour putting them in. The first two sets I had put in were in the 250 dollar range, the third set I just put in myself and it was nowhere near as hard as I thought it would be.

My car has 200K miles so I have to have bearings and all done. They are telling me 6-7 hours labor at $65 per hour.
If I'm correct, there is much more to it when replacing bearings. Let's see, I paid $3,000.00 for this convertable and so far I have almost $9,000.00 into re-building it and I'm not even finished yet:bang:

rrudholm said:
My car has 200K miles so I have to have bearings and all done. They are telling me 6-7 hours labor at $65 per hour.
If I'm correct, there is much more to it when replacing bearings. Let's see, I paid $3,000.00 for this convertable and so far I have almost $9,000.00 into re-building it and I'm not even finished yet:bang:
i hear ya. i paid $7k for mine and immediately put $4k into it fixing stuff and upgrades.

it'll be sweet when it's done.

Got mine done for $250 from a friend of a friend. That was all labor though. I had gotten the gears off of e-bay (FRPP) and bought the deluxe bearing kit (RATECH or something like that) from Summit. They replaced the gears, seals, shims and inner/outer wheel bearings.