Rear end woes...

Well yesterday me and my dad swapped in an 8.8 we bought at a swap meet over a year ago. It has 3.73 gears, we rebuilt the trak lok, and thoroughly cleaned the whole unit. We spent the whole day getting it in and the old one out and my D & D upper & lower control arms in. On the first drive it was making a god awful sound. It sounded like a bearing was bad or going out. I am very sure it was a bearing, we put it on jackstands to listen for the sound and are pretty sure it is a bearing in the center case. But the thing is we dont know which bearing it is!!!!

SO today we got to swap the old rear end back in so i could drive it. :notnice: This sucks we just wasted two days and i dont know what to do now. The whole reason we bought it was so we wouldnt have to set up all the complex crap dealing w/ the ring & pinion. My dad thinks it is a pinion bearing that is making the sound, but I think he is just guessing. I am very positive it is not the trak lok making the sound, but I am not even sure how many bearings are in the center case. I know there are two on the side "main caps" (dont know what else to calll them) and then the pinion bearing.

If anybody has any advice or an answer for me please post it up!!! You have no idea how much this sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so sick of putting that danm rear end in and out. And with just the little taste of the 3.73's I NEED them now.

• Sponsors (?)

if the ring and pinion is not shimmed right it will make that sound, it took me 7 times 3 yrs ago to get my 4:10's right it is complicated, seems like u guys bought a rear end that was done by a amatuer, u can try ur self or take it to a rear end shop and let them set the gears in right.

Does it do it going straight and while turning or just when your turning? It's very possible that it's a bearing or unproper shimming. But if it was mainly in the turn's I'd say it's definetly the trac loc clutches making noise. Without Fric. Modifier they can be loud as hell, and I know tones of people who have thought that they had a bearing going or there rear end was going to blow since it was so loud when all it was was the posi. If it was just in the turn's throw some Fric. Modifier in her and your noise should be gone. If it was all the time, then better tear it apart and go throught it completly (Rebuild) as most likely someone screwed up putting it together. Good Luck.....

No it makes the noise all the time. All we did was pull it out of the shed and drive it up the road a mile or so and turn around and come right back. It made the noise the whole time. I think we are gonna have a shop mess w/ it b/c neither of us have any business playing with the pinion.

Thanks for the help you told me what I already thought, I just didnt want to hear it.... :( Oh well more $$$ to throw down for the car.

The good news is, it will be easier for a shop to work on with it out of the car (maybe you can negotiate a little less money), and if it's setup right, it won't have to be RE-setup...it will just need new bearings installed. It might not be terribly expensive...but it definitely needs a good rearend place to make sure it's all done correctly. You might also have them run a pattern on the gears and see how they are setup -- it really doesn't take any time at all and will let you and them know if they are correct or not -- could be something other than a bearing if that's the case.