rear suggestions please

fford

Founding Member
Nov 29, 2000
Palmyra, PA
I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for.
I would like suggestions for a rear that will take a lot of HP and TQ. I went to have mine tuned and it was breaking the tires loose from the rollers at 4000 rpm and was over 500hp and 550 ftlbs of tq.

I am thinking 31 spline with a spool and C clip elim. Any one else?

BTW still a 4 lug and drum brakes

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't be inclined to go a spool. Really hapers street driving. But a 31 spline carrier and aftermarket axles would be a good start. Also the axles tubes welded all the way around and a rear girdle would help. c-clip eliminators would also be the way to go. As far as the posi unit detroit locker or auburn work well. There is also the idea of going with a 9 inch.

the issue is your rear end being fully locked up. for cornering it is not optimal. In fact it can be dangerous. Specially in wet conditions. the looks you will get in parking lots when you are turning at low speeds and one tire is chirping are just not worth it. Two much attention drawn to yah. The exhausts on these cars are enough to draw attention to them.

I had it rebuilt a couple years ago with 3/73 gears and all new bearings. This was the first pull on a dyno since I put the turbo on it. I knew right away the rear was going to have to change, just wasn't sure what to do with it.

personally I would keep the rear end you have untill it goes. I have beat on my rear end for a number of years. Finally twisted an axle out of it but it took a while of launching with slicks and on juice. They take quite abit of abuse.

I would do that but in order to get the car tuned the tires have to stay planted on the rollers of the dyno! lol That is why I want to upgrade now before I go back. It was breaking the tires loose from the dyno rollers and I need to get equal traction back there.

Had an extra 100# in the hatch tried tire pressure from 30 to 15 psi, heated the tires on the rollers and still spun. When I do go back I will have my ET streets on to help in that area, but if I only have one tire spinning I am worried about the same result.

Had an extra 100# in the hatch tried tire pressure from 30 to 15 psi, heated the tires on the rollers and still spun. When I do go back I will have my ET streets on to help in that area, but if I only have one tire spinning I am worried about the same result.

Oh I see. Yes 1 wheel peel is not a good thing at all. Yes I would be fixing that rear end up a bit before I went back aswell. If you have the money strange engineering builds a 9 inch for the stang.