Rebuilding Rear..

cobra10494

Founding Member
May 14, 2000
North Jersey
Going to a gear swap on my vert to a 3.55 or 3.73 not sure.I have the one wheel spin so my plan is to rebuild the traction lok with the FRPP carbon disc rebuild kit and a Drake aluminum rear cover.My car was previously a one owner and has 120k on it.Axles should be ok/heard they are fairly stout.What else if anything am I missing here/thanks! Car is full bolt on 5 spd, planning on doing a v3 setup in the near future.Just want to do it right the first time.

• Sponsors (?)

Going to a gear swap on my vert to a 3.55 or 3.73 not sure.I have the one wheel spin so my plan is to rebuild the traction lok with the FRPP carbon disc rebuild kit and a Drake aluminum rear cover.My car was previously a one owner and has 120k on it.Axles should be ok/heard they are fairly stout.What else if anything am I missing here/thanks! Car is full bolt on 5 spd, planning on doing a v3 setup in the near future.Just want to do it right the first time.

I can say if you do gears, you will need pinion bearings and a seal. What i ran into with frpp bearings is, they are chinese. They also are made with a different race angle than the timken bearings your car came with. I wouldn't bother with the frpp's unless you plan on knocking the old races out and starting at ground zero with the setup. If it were me, I'd go find timken replacements and go with those. That's all i have, good luck.

Imo if your tear it apart donit right the first time. Replace everything. I learned the hard way when I did it the first time and had bearing noise, tore it part and the new races didn't like the old bearings.....

I can say if you do gears, you will need pinion bearings and a seal. What i ran into with frpp bearings is, they are chinese. They also are made with a different race angle than the timken bearings your car came with. I wouldn't bother with the frpp's unless you plan on knocking the old races out and starting at ground zero with the setup. If it were me, I'd go find timken replacements and go with those. That's all i have, good luck.
I've seen people remove the old pinion bearing and press it back on while reusing the shim. Do you not approve of that method even if the bearings are in fair shape?

I've seen people remove the old pinion bearing and press it back on while reusing the shim. Do you not approve of that method even if the bearings are in fair shape?

Well, I'm a machinist/millwright by trade... and the industry standard in rotating equipment with ball or roller bearings is to never reuse a bearing that has been installed, then pressed off. Reason being, one little malformation in one roller will certainly lead to failure. Usually sooner than later, and it's usually going to happen on some level.

Reactions: 1 users
I have purchased Timkin bearings that were made in Taiwan, Malaysia, Romania and the US. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if some were made in China too.

Dave

Yeah, BUT, if they are timken, chances are they have a spec to follow, and will mate to an undamaged timken race. That was my point. The frpp bearings are branded "china". And, they do not match the factory timken race. That was the point i was trying to get across.

Reactions: 1 user