Recommend headers

Kevin,

Thanks for all the good info..

My mods:
American Thunder Cats
BBK Cold Air Intake
(Soon to be) Ford Racing Headers

What do you recommend for my next mods? Everything else is stock.

I am trying to do a little bit at a time.

Gears (3.73s), larger MAF, and underdrives really made a difference for me.

I bought gears for $150 and a local guy that has done installs on countless Stang's did it for $150. So I had gears for less than $350. It took me a little while to learn how to drive my car again, but it was well worth it.

• Sponsors (?)

If you are looking for motor mods, the intake is the largest restriction on the HO motor. For a budget build, Pick up an cobra/explorer intake and put it on. Other bang for the buck mods are gears(3.73 for auto 3.55 for manual is typical upgrade), subframe connectors. Leave the stock airbox. It is a "cold air" intake as it is and maybe throw a K&N panel filter on it. It definately isn't the prettiest thing out there but if you are looking to go faster on the cheap, just leave it for now. You can bump your timing to 14* from 10* which will help a little. Under drive pullies are really a gamble. You can run into cooling and charging issues... dependant on the climate you live in. I would just rock the stock pullies. There isn't much to gain there. Nothing that you would notice on the butt dyno. Start with the intake then save up for a set of heads. Suspension and brake mods are also a good thing to have. These cars are in their 20s and brake and handle like any other 20 year old car out there. Brakes are not adequate for a stock car IMO. With all the go fast goodies you will be adding, consider putting brakes up there too. Be safe.
kevin

@ BlueReefHatch,
I would save the long tubes for when you do the top end kit. Yes you can probably gain a little power but it is hardly worth the trouble of the install if you have to go digging in there again to swap heads.
Kevin

I'm eventually going to do a TFS top end kit and was thinking about doing long tubes, but I was wondering if it would be worth doing them soon on my stock motor. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

If you plan on doing them eventually, no harm in just doing them now. BUT, if you EVER plan on even POSSIBLY doing a turbo, LTs might not be a good investment...