RedSquad rides again!

I finally got the car back with an entirely new engine! The tech showed me the old engine sitting on a crate waiting to go back to SVT. The rod put a pretty big hole through the case, but the rod itself was not bent or damaged. It looked to me like the rod cap just came off!! I couldnt see any obvious damage to the rod....I asked the tech and the service guy what they thought - They would'nt say. I really cant tell much of a difference in the way the car is running, it seems fine. About two hours after I had picked it up though, a pressure fitting on the power steering pump came loose and it dumped fluid everywhere and made an awful noise. they reseated it and everything seems normal now...I guess we'll see.
p.s. If you dont know the story, I threw a rod at 1286mi about 2 wks ago.

• Sponsors (?)

I would think you should be given a full explaination on what happened to your engine, it is/was YOURS. Pretty crappy that they wouldnt say anything.

Someone forget to properly tighten an end cap???

RedSquad7 said:
I finally got the car back with an entirely new engine! The tech showed me the old engine sitting on a crate waiting to go back to SVT. The rod put a pretty big hole through the case, but the rod itself was not bent or damaged. It looked to me like the rod cap just came off!! I couldnt see any obvious damage to the rod....I asked the tech and the service guy what they thought - They would'nt say. I really cant tell much of a difference in the way the car is running, it seems fine. About two hours after I had picked it up though, a pressure fitting on the power steering pump came loose and it dumped fluid everywhere and made an awful noise. they reseated it and everything seems normal now...I guess we'll see.
p.s. If you dont know the story, I threw a rod at 1286mi about 2 wks ago.

So how will that play out later in the cars life? are there matching numbers on the new engine? Just thinking long term, like a '67 427 vette with matching numbers is so much more valuable than a 327 or a non matching numbers car. This car is so popular and IMO being modded so much they are going to dwindle in numbers as they get older, more engines are going to be blown up, and like a hemi cuda the original block in the original cars are going to skyrocket in price.

Just looking long term talk here, nothing against a crate engine from the factory, i'd expect brand new if it happened to me.

One other question....do you think they would of treated you to a new engine if it was say 34,xxx miles?

BZ's_03_SVT said:
So how will that play out later in the cars life? are there matching numbers on the new engine? Just thinking long term, like a '67 427 vette with matching numbers is so much more valuable than a 327 or a non matching numbers car. This car is so popular and IMO being modded so much they are going to dwindle in numbers as they get older, more engines are going to be blown up, and like a hemi cuda the original block in the original cars are going to skyrocket in price.

Just looking long term talk here, nothing against a crate engine from the factory, i'd expect brand new if it happened to me.

One other question....do you think they would of treated you to a new engine if it was say 34,xxx miles?

They don't match numbers up between motors and chassis like they used to do in the old days. No such thing as a "Numbers Matching" car these days. Should have no affect on resale value.

As for them telling RedSquad7 what really happened to his motor... The dealership will probably never know unless they pursue it with Ford. That motor will get shipped out to a facility where they will tear it down and analyze the hell out of it. They don't let the dealerships do much of the teardown and failure analysis. Remove and replace is their motto...

U.M.

Yeah, some other people have pretty much said the same thing as U.M. about the numbers matching. now dont quote me on this one but- during one of my many conversations with Ford and the dealer, they said that since it was a warranty repair and not down to abuse or an accident that it should'nt appear on the vehicles history...I dont know. If I ever sold it I would be honest about that.
I got that sort of response when I started inquiring about the cars future value and history and seeing if they would replace the vehicle. So far so good, car seems just the way it was. I'm happy to have it back!

BZ- I'm assuming they would have had to have done the same thing at 34k. The big thing is that you dont expect something like this at 1200mi I guess. It really does seem to have been a freak deal- Especially when you consider all these guys running around with KB's, Prochargers, Whipples etc. that havent had a major engine failure.....

RedSquad7 said:
BZ- I'm assuming they would have had to have done the same thing at 34k. The big thing is that you dont expect something like this at 1200mi I guess. It really does seem to have been a freak deal- Especially when you consider all these guys running around with KB's, Prochargers, Whipples etc. that havent had a major engine failure.....

I just wonder if you would of had to jump through hoops later in the warrenty age. You here all of the stories of how Ford loves to void warrenties. Wondering because i am the lucky guy that gets the lemon at 35,998 and the dealership is three miles away :bang:

RedSquad7 said:

I just wonder if you would of had to jump through hoops later in the warrenty age. You here all of the stories of how Ford loves to void warrenties. Wondering because i am the lucky guy that gets the lemon at 35,998 and the dealership is three miles away :bang:

BZ's_03_SVT said:
I hear ya bro! I'm scared to death to even do bolt ons now... I'm sure intake and exhaust would be fine. I just dont wanna go through that again! With the right care and maintenance- and not flogging them- they should be fine. Just be careful about mods and you should be fine. I really wanna do a few things to the car.... wanted to do pulley and program- I think that will wait till warranty is almost up now. It may be wise not to mod it too much...I'm interested to see what the next Cobra looks like...I've got the bug though!