Relocating Battery to Trunk w/Taylor Kit ?s

sbelyo

Jun 10, 2005
I'm planning on moving my battery to the trunk in my 01 GT. I currently have an optima red top 34/78. I plan on using they taylor 48000 (trying to do this on a budget)

My questions are:

1. I plan on mounting the new positive cable to the power distribution box up front. The kit comes with a crimpable eyelet for the cable. Since I don't have access to a crimper that big how do I terminate that cable?

2. The ground cable that was attached to the negative terminal will have to be re-terminated. What gauge is that thick black wire?

3. The Positive cable coming from the starter will also need to be re-terminated. What gauge is that wire?

I saw in a tutorial that someone soldered the ends on, but trying to do that on 2 gauge wire is a bit troublesome.

• Sponsors (?)

OK, for the power wire ... For the battery end, you can get a connector like this:

p4250010mx5.th.jpg

In this pic of my truck's battery, the gold one (positive terminal) is what I'm talking about. Just splice the wire, stick it in the slot and tighten a hexnut to hold it in place. It also has like 4 small "outputs" so to speak where you can add smaller wires. I got it at autozone or carquest (can't remember) but another good place for this type of crap is a car audio store (not like best buy ... more custom, ya know?) ...

For the other end (where you want to 're-do' it), browse around on THIS WEBSITE (BOATERSWORLD) and they have different items that can work. On my Brother's car we used a distribution terminal type deal where the large power wire went in and was split like 5 ways (we only used 2) and were fused for outputs (like to your main wiring, fuses, etc.) ... Hope that makes some sense.

Good luck, get creative. :nice:

Attachments

• p4250010mx5.th.jpg
    p4250010mx5.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 71