Removing front Ford emblem?

Fett

Nov 2, 2004
Stupid question.....it feels like it is held on by speed nuts, but it is hard to tell. Does anybody know what size nut it is, or if there is a quicker way to remove it? I am not looking to save the emblem, so I don't care if I destroy it....but I would like to not damage the front bumper.

I only ask because I am stripping the car, getting it ready for paint...and the fiberglass from the front bumper insulator is giving my arms hell. I would like to spend as little time as possible with my arms rubbing on it.

• Sponsors (?)

I did a thread on this not too long ago, but here is the info. The front nose emblem is held on by two nuts that cut their own threads onto the new emblem studs when tightened. To remove, all you need is a 10 mm socket. On mine, the socket was just a little too short and the stud bottomed out against my ratchet. To get it off I placed the socket just barely at the tip of the ratchet and gently placed it on the nut to loosen. Once the nut was backed off a couple of turns, the socket won't bottom out. Its easy to get to from the bottom, just sit down in front and put your arm up between the lower and upper part of the nose.

Here are some pics for you:
New one
View attachment 463653
Old one
View attachment 463654
Old one with nuts
View attachment 463656
Front nose without emblem
View attachment 463657

I think this will answer your question, if not, ask another and I will try to help.

don herberto said:
Use a hair dryer on high to help loosen it. Without a nut, it'll fall right of when it gets hot. A little Goo Gone to get rid of the extra gunk, and your good.

Mine did not have any adhesive, neither did my new one. Only thing holding it on is the 2 nuts.