Removing Hood Pad

Hey guys... I have a quick question. Does the V6 even get hot enough to do any damage to the paint on my hood, if I remove the hood pad?

Before I even bought my car, the negative battery terminal had massive corrosion, and ended up ruining the hood pad, and I want to replace it.

It's hard to find one of these, so I just want to remove it for now, and was wondering if any harm would be done.

Others have said yes, and others have said no, so I thought I'd just ask. Thanks!

Yuuuck!

16867.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

There are two sides to the story and people argue this all the time.

Personally, I would find a replacement, if it were my car.

I have seen many people run without them and do just fine; no paint baking at all.

Your largest concern will be the flat appearance of the paint behind the pad.

No problem whatsoever taking it off. It's there ONLY for sound deadening. I had mine off on the stock hood with a KB blower right next to it for 3 years and the paint was fine. Now I have a PT88 turbo sitting 2" from the hood - and they hold a TON of heat and everything is fine. On a basically stock car it's a non-issue. All they do is hold dirt and look crappy.

Don

Most aftermarket hoods don't come with way to attach the liner unless you poke holes in the hood so I wouldn't think the liner is there to prevent paint issues. Like Don said, it's crap they put on the car to make it quieter.

Lots of people run Cobra R and Cervini hoods and the like with hi po engines and no liner. Their hoods seem to be doing fine.

AP1995V6 said:
Most aftermarket hoods don't come with way to attach the liner unless you poke holes in the hood so I wouldn't think the liner is there to prevent paint issues. Like Don said, it's crap they put on the car to make it quieter.

Lots of people run Cobra R and Cervini hoods and the like with hi po engines and no liner. Their hoods seem to be doing fine.

+1, but if you feel that you want to replace you can probably find one at a junk yard.

Yeah, hopefully one that I could find would look decent. :)

Actually it's not there only for keeping the sound down, but to fall on the engine if it catches fire... I just found that out the other day.

The pins are set to melt at a certain temperature, and it drops the pad over your engine and acts as a blanket. Purdy cool!

I'll go ahead and see if I can take it off later today. The paint under the pad doesn't concern me as much as the pad looking like complete ass. ;)

I peeled the pad back a bit today, and it looks almost rusted a bit on the underside... If I could safely pull those pins out, I'd go ahead and take it off and see if I could clean it up, but if I rip or burn them off, I wouldn't have anything else to sercure the pad back up to the hood...

Maybe I can purchase some of those push pins online or something.

Immortal LuD said:
I peeled the pad back a bit today, and it looks almost rusted a bit on the underside... If I could safely pull those pins out, I'd go ahead and take it off and see if I could clean it up, but if I rip or burn them off, I wouldn't have anything else to sercure the pad back up to the hood...

Maybe I can purchase some of those push pins online or something.

Go to your local FORD dealer for the pins. They are cheap and they should have them in stock.

Autozone, Advance Pep boys they all carry them

Rip it off! Get it out of there.

I got the pad off, with all of the pins...

The corrosion was so bad, it even ate a hole through my hood! (I'll have pictures later.)

I tried scrubbing most of the corrosion/debris off the bottom of the hood, and it does look a lot better, but the hood is a little white in the middle, and it looks tacky. :) I'll be heading around to my local junkyards for a pad, but I doubt I'll find anything that looks half way decent.