Repairing scratch on dash

stanmckinney

10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
My installer accidentially scratched my dash just above the glovebox door when he installed an aftermarket radio.
He tried repairing it with less than perfect results. He then hired a guy who apparently repairs dashes for dealers.
It looks much better but the match is not perfect. I was told to let it cure for awhile and then dress the whole area to see if the match would be better. My installer is willing to replace the entire dash at his cost if I desire.
What is the downside here?
I have heard that the dash would never be the same as it was from the factory, that squeaks might be a problem and that the chances during the install of more scratches is possible.
Any recommendations?
The car is barely a month old and has less than 3,000 miles on it. I am also a perfectionist.

• Sponsors (?)

man, those aftermarket headunits are not worth it as much now are they? i dont know where you go, but remind me not to go there. they managed to scratch both your cars! i have had many interior parts in and out of my car, and have not had the problems you have encountered with the scratches. first i would find a new installer.

personally, i would not have them replace the dash. like you said, the chance of squeeks is far too great, especially for a perfectionist like yourself. ask if they can redo the repair a little better first, then replace as a last resort. too many techs have left over screws when replacing the dash. :bang:

Ford actually scratched the dash in my 2005. The installer I have used for many years and trust scratched the 2007.
While neither should have scratched the dash, I believe the car should not have a plastic interior that scratches so easily.
I have thought about one of the dash trim kits that covers the area above the glove box. I have the carbon fiber IUP and dark charcoal interior, so I don't know what color I would use.
I also have crimson red seats.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There are harder plastics that don't scratch so easily. I have a 1966 mustang convertible. It has a metal dash that could easily be repaired. Granted, such a dash today would not meet safety standards. But there are cost-effective options.
Now, back to my question. Any suggestions? What about a dash kit? Anyone have one? Do you like it? What color would you recommend?
I really need suggestions here, not some I told you so stuff.