replacing Capri carb.

MercRS

Jan 15, 2003
Chicago,IL
I have a 85 Capri 5.0 w/T5
has a holley stock,need to replace with a new carb
would the holley 4160 would they be a direct bolt on?
summit isn't very clear on the description.
Or what would be better.It would be for street use only.

• Sponsors (?)

a 4160 is not a direct replacement, but this one is going to get as close as possible I think

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...9+4294839063+4294908331+4294925023+4294840126

It will keep you smog compliant probably. I have one for my 1985 mustang, but make sure when you get it and put it on you check for leaks and check your spark plugs to make sure you are getting a good burn. I had to send mine back to holley for some work, and I am still not happy with it. Just giving you a heads up.

Well the biggest problem I had when I first got it was that it was running super rich and I could not figure out why. I sent it to holley and they replaced the whole front float bowl and metering block as well as the baseplate. Then it stopped running rich, but they put some kind of resin on the sides of the float bowls to prevent leaks, but it is not very good stuff and there are leaks anyway. The needle and seat assemblies also start leaking sometimes and I have to re-tighten them. They also forgot to put the springs in the idle mixture screws when they sent it back to me, so I had to put in my factory ones.

Other than that, it seems to work pretty good. It's just frustrating, I wanted a carb I could buy and just bolt on without issues, especially at that price, but it wasn't the case. Holley will fix it for free if there is anything wrong, but you have to pay the shipping to send it to them.

One thing I forgot to ask earlier, do you have a factory metal fuel line running up that screws into the front of the front float bowl? Because that is how this carb is setup.

Just my opinion...I would go with a 1406 edelbrock carb...its a 600 cfm and is the best out of the box carb you can buy...IMO...And very very easy to tune.....I have an 1806 650 cfm on my 85 and i love it.....

Just my opinion...I would go with a 1406 edelbrock carb...its a 600 cfm and is the best out of the box carb you can buy...IMO...And very very easy to tune.....I have an 1806 650 cfm on my 85 and i love it.....

I would have suggested that too, but he has emissions testing and would fail visual inspection immediately.

mercRS-check out foureyedpride.com forums, from the list of your cars i'm sure you're more than welcome over there.. and you'll find out more info on your 79-86 mustangs and capri's than anywhere else IMO

Get a Edelbrock 600 w/elec choke and forget about it. You set the idle screws and never touch it again. Perfect out of the box.

Yes.... we have been through this. That is all fine and dandy until it comes time to smog the car.

So, does your capri need to be smogged in chicago? I bet it does....

ok I did a quick search on illinois smog laws and this is what is says:

Exempt Vehicles

The following vehicles are exempt from inspection:

* Motorcycles

* Vehicles first registered in 1967 or earlier

* Farm vehicles and "implements of husbandry"

* Antique vehicles 25 years or older

* Diesel-powered vehicles

* Electric vehicles (most hybrids will not be exempt)

* Vehicles for which a Junking Certificate has been issued

So he has 2 more years to go until he can be smog exempt, if and only if his car is registered as an antique vehicle. Otherwise, no dice.