Replacing flywheel ring gear?

I believe my flywheel has some bad teeth. I'll be pulling the trans in a month or so and will confirm then. In the meantime, if it comes to that I was hoping that someone could tell me what was involved in replacing the ring gear and the pros/cons to that as opposed to replacing the flywheel itself. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

My dad and I installed one of these on a junker Ford Ranger I used to drive when I was 14. We either got the wrong gear or it wasnt installed flat. As the Ranger kept eating starter gears for the next few years till we had some major engine problems that were not cost effective to repair. Never found out what the issue was.

Thanks guys. Sounds simple enough. I like the oven idea. Seems like there would be less potential to overheat or heat the ring unevenly. Guess I'll see what the condition of the flywheel surface is and then decide. Thanks again!

If none of the teeth are broken, you can actually take the gear off (with heat as described before) and just flip it over and use the other face - assuming this has not been done before.

Very true, however, my rule of thumb is this: if you can see the flywheel (as in ANY clutch service), it's best to have it surfaced and the ring gear inspected/replaced. It's cheap and aLOT less hassle than removing your freshly-installed trans to do right the second time...

That makes a lot of sense. I was planning on making an assessment when I pull the trans and I was thinking that it'll probably need to be resurfaced as well. I'm going to estimate the cost of replacing the ring gear and resurfacing the current flywheel as opposed to a replacement as well to see which makes the most sense depending upon the condition. Thanks for all the advice!