replacing head gasket questions with pictures.....

bill302

Nov 2, 2005
alabama,gadsden
ok..i was showing the beginning signs of a blown headgasket after running my 12 sec pass on nitrous...so i removed the heads...in the pictures below the pistons and cylinder walls do not look like a 140,000 mile motor what do yall think?? and if it has been rebuilt how can i tell if it has been bored or not??do these look like stock pistons?? the headgasket part # removed was fel-pro f2te-6051-ca i cannot find any info on this gasket is this a stock number???i also added a pic. of the worst spot on the head gasket. and pics of heads i'm going to have the heads checked at a local machine shop and ported...thanks

cyl #1
mustangpistonsandheads001.jpg

mustangpistonsandheads002.jpg

mustangpistonsandheads003.jpg

mustangpistonsandheads004.jpg

mustangpistonsandheads005.jpg

mustangpistonsandheads006.jpg

mustangpistonsandheads007.jpg

mustangpistonsandheads008.jpg

headgasket
headgasket.jpg

pic of heads
mustangpistonsandheads009.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, those look like stock pistons, if it was bored they usually stamp it somewhere on the deck, and as for wear, the walls will usually always look fine, look at the very top of the piston walls right at the deck, there will probly be a small lip around the top, that shows you how much the walls have worn. HTH!

my stock block with 115-120k on it still had the cross hatch down the cyls. A buddies 87 popped a HG well over 180k from a 150 shot and the cyls. still looked perfect. We even checked the top for lips and we could not tell on both our blocks. We took apart a 200k motor and it too still had the cross hatch.

Too bad my rings were shot on 2 cyl...everything else was still good.

my stock block with 150-120k on it still had the cross hatch down the cyls. A buddies 87 popped a HG well over 180k from a 150 shot and the cyls. still looked perfect. We even checked the top for lips and we could not tell on both our blocks. We took apart a 200k motor and it too still had the cross hatch.

Too bad my rings were shot on 2 cyl...everything else was still good.

ya, i can also see the cross hatch marks in each cylinder, i worked on chevys all my yonger life and i don't think i have ever seen a 140,000 chevy block with cross hatch marks still showing and most of them had a large lip at the top of each cylinder from ring wear on cylinders...