Reproduction Hood Hinges

68rustang

Jan 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Does anybody have any experience with the repop hood hinges that are available? I am having trouble getting the hood aligned and am going to trysome of the tricks I have found in the forums. Before I spend the time messing with possibly worn out hinges I might just buy new ones, LMM has them for $23.00/ea. Are they any good? Is it typical repop garbage?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I had the problem of the back of the hood sticking up which turned out to be worn out hinges. I bought mine from NPD (I think?) and they worked. I would rather have originals and I wish I would of known about the restoration company posted above though. You figure that if the originals lasted 30+ years they must be good quality.

Well it turns out my hinges are just fine. I just needed an extra set of hands :) What we did:

1. Removde the hood from the hinges.
  2. Loosened the three bolts that hold the hinges to the fender.
  3. Drop the hinge down as far as the slots would allow.
  4. Kept the rear slot as low as possible and rotated the hinge as much as we could by lifting the front of the hinge up, not much rotation was possible.
  5. Tightened the three bolts.
  6. Remounted the hood.
  7. Adjusted the hood to fender and hood to cowl gaps
  8. tightened the hood to hinge bolts.
  9. Voila! (will post a pic this weekend.

Can you still post pics? I am now at this point and my hood is at least 1 to 1.5" too high in the rear... I remember the orig hood didnt fit very good when I bought the car, so I dont think its FG hood related... something wrong with the hinges, but I would like to see what you did.

I forgot about posting up a pic. Unfortunately I took the hood back off Tuesday night. I am done with mock up and needed to pull the engine to smooth and paint the firewall. I will post a pic when it goes back together in a few weeks.

Really, all i did was bolt the hood to the hinges which were already bolted to the car. Align the hood as best you can between the fenders and with the cowl. Snug up the lowest hinge to apron bolt in the front and leave the other two loose. Have a friend push up on the front of the hood (be careful since yours in FG.) Doing so should cause the hinge to rotate back and down as much as possible. Tighten up all six bolts and you should be pretty close, assuming the hinges aren't worn.