resonators/cats on x-pipe to muffle rasp? HELP!

Well, when I first bought my '99 GT in Sept., the first mod was an x-pipe...fine - sounds great (on its own), and noticable power bump....then I welded some Flow 2s on and WHOA - MUCH louder than I wanted, though it did sound nice...just too damn 'big'!? Soooo, I took the x off and kept the Flows, as they're welded in and I didn't want to start from scratch - ie new straight thru mufflers, etc....my question is, I love the power gain from the x but I need a little more peace, especially cruising on the highway...the drone! What I'm thinking of doing is getting either 2 resonators welded in either near the mufflers end or the headers, whichever is more practical, or 2 generic/basic cats....will this significantly lower the overall volume when put back in or should I just forego the x if it's too much?? If the stock exhaust were a 4 in noise levels, a 6 with the x only and a 9 with the x and Flows, where would this alteration put the noise level on a 1 - 10 scale?? Any help or experience alterring these pipes is MUCH appreciated. Todd

• Sponsors (?)

todzilla said:
Well, when I first bought my '99 GT in Sept., the first mod was an x-pipe...fine - sounds great (on its own), and noticable power bump....then I welded some Flow 2s on and WHOA - MUCH louder than I wanted, though it did sound nice...just too damn 'big'!? Soooo, I took the x off and kept the Flows, as they're welded in and I didn't want to start from scratch - ie new straight thru mufflers, etc....my question is, I love the power gain from the x but I need a little more peace, especially cruising on the highway...the drone! What I'm thinking of doing is getting either 2 resonators welded in either near the mufflers end or the headers, whichever is more practical, or 2 generic/basic cats....will this significantly lower the overall volume when put back in or should I just forego the x if it's too much?? If the stock exhaust were a 4 in noise levels, a 6 with the x only and a 9 with the x and Flows, where would this alteration put the noise level on a 1 - 10 scale?? Any help or experience alterring these pipes is MUCH appreciated. Todd

If its too loud for your taste , weld some cats on the X and it will tone it down

why don't run run a differnt set of flows. I see the point about cats but they are not free. then there is the pain of installing them. I would just change out you mufflers. that is my .02. you will be able to sell your flows. just get some 50 series flows and put a nice cut on the 2 chamber flows and off them on ebay. I think the cost of this would be the most minimal.

I'm gonna price out some cats versus new mufflers, taking into account the labor rates for the re and reing and then decide if this is feasible...to get 2 new mufflers installed will most likely be in the $300 range so I'm not super happy with that idea...I think 2 cats or resonators wouldn't be too cheap but it's gotta be less than 3 bills!! We'll see. Thanx for replies and advice. Todd