Restore or Restomod?

buckshot1020

Mar 21, 2006
I finally bought another Mustang project. This is my 13th Mustang ( had a 65,68 and lots of fox bodies). I found a 66 coupe (289ci/auto/ silver frost ext./ red int) that I fell in love with. It has been sitting in a garage since 1984. Complete. I mean COMPLETE. Matching numbers, all original (every nut and bolt), 51k documented original miles. Even had the owners manual and purchase paperwork in the glovebox. It will need a restore obviuosly but is in very good shape for a platform to start with. A couple small areas of cancer on the ext (usual places). The trunk lid, door bottoms, cowl and frame rails are perfect. The interior even has a great original headliner. My question is this... should I restore it to original considering the condition and documentation I have? Or customize it? I love fast Mustangs and would like to build a restomod but I would also like an original Mustang. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

I agree. Only if it was a 428SCJ, Shelby, or Boss I would do a oem restoration. Restoring to oem isn't cheap and IMO is not even worth it for fastback Mach 1's that need alot of work, much less notch backs. To top it off, if you were to drive it, the cheap oem parts wear fast and will look old and depreciate anything you gained. Just my 2cents.

Both of you guys are right... and I knew it, but I just needed to be told it by someone else. I might as well build a car I can enjoy. I already have it built my head. It will stay silver frost in color, 17" Torq Thrust D wheels, a flat black hood ( love them on muscle cars), a red pin stripe. Interior will stay mainly red.. but the seats and door panels will have black center inserts. The engine will be a built 289. Nothing outrageous for now. Now for the wrenching and money saving....

I believe that a car should be an extension of you. My 73 is modded (hidden electronic ignition, 4bbl on factory 2V heads) and it will continue to be as long as it is with me. My 99 already has plans for modifications. I'm not big on body mods, just a clean nice appearance (like I like my girls) and a monster underneath the surface (see last paranthetical comment).

~Critter

Cannoball888 said:
Try to keep the best of both worlds. Like NoKitten indicated, keep the appearance stock but hide all the mods. I believe performance cars like these were called "sleepers"

yeah, but that doesn't mean I won't hesitate to change something I don't like on the exterior either. My 99 needs a factory style wing and 17's. I just want the 5 spoke instead of the 4 spoke wheels. the 73 would loose it's vynil roof and get new wheels, and the suspension mods would change it's stance. But right now, they're both sleeping till July.

~Critter

I will post some pics of the car soon. I am gonna start the restoration and stick to the vision I have. I want to make the car my own... classic looks with modern performance. Thanks everyone- the project is underway...