Restoring a Rusted Roof

Just Some Final Shots

Many words have been written on the subject of automotive painting ranging from rolling on Rustoleam paint to spray painting an entire car with rattle cans to shooting one with a state of the art spray gun. However it seems like every write up starts with Chapter 2 skipping things like gun introductions and comparisons all together. I love learning by comparison, I always say "stare and compare" and you'll figure it out.

So here are some things I learned:

There are two types of spray guns, a syphon type and a gravity fed one. A syphon gun has the paint bottle below it. The paint is sucked out of the bottle using a tube, similar to sucking a milk shake through a straw. I used a syphon type. The other type of gun, is gravity fed, meaning the paint comes from a bottle above the gun, and gravity pulls it down.

I tried to compare the CFMs on both types of guns. Logic would tell one that the syphon style needs more pressure to suck the thick paint up the tube, however I've seen some ratings showing higher pressure requirements on the gravity types rather than the syphon types, so go figure. Maybe someone can set me straight on this. Honestly I don't care, I file this in the "Internals of the VCR" folder. Cause I don't care how it works I just wanna watch a movie, or in this case paint a car.

I was told that orange peal at this stage of the game is not a big deal as it will be covered with build primer which then will be sanded smooth anyway. Although I got lucky and did NOT end up with orange peal, I'm just saying.

You ask 10 different guys on how to go about removing rust off the roof of a car and you'll get 11 opinions! Funny but true.

... and watch the over spray!

DSCN5337.jpg

DSCN5338.jpg

DSCN5344.jpg

DSCN5346.jpg

• Sponsors (?)