retrofittng heated/power seats

jim010

Nov 1, 2006
Can factory heated/power seats be retrofitted?

Hello,

I have finally decided to join up on a Mustang forum after reading for awhile.

First of all, thanks to the members of this forum. I never would have known I could retrofit the mycolor until I read it here and pressured my dealer that it could be done with little hassle.

I also got the idea to black out the rear of my car and get the bullit rims and it looks great.

My question is:
I now want heated seats, but I want to use the factory switches on the dash. I can order the switches (They will come with the newer climate controls as the buttons can't be ordered separately) but the aftermarket installers I have talked to say that the buttons are incompatible.

Also, I wonder if I can retrofit the passenger power seat?

• Sponsors (?)

you will probably have to purchase everything from ford and have it installed. aftermarket seat warmers could be used, but make it harder to wire up with the stock switches.

Without doing some fancy wiring, I assumed that I would need to get the Ford parts (7r3z-14d696b and 7r3z-14d696a x2, plus the wiring harnesses) but the parts are quite expensive from Ford. Am I stuck with paying dealer prices for these parts? Also, I need to know what wiring harnesses I will need as the dealer is not very helpful to me.

If you Google "Ford Parts and accessories" you will find several pages of businesses that sell parts. Among them are www.genuine-ford-parts.com, www.oemfordparts.com & www.ford parts.com.
I had looked into putting the galloping pony center caps on my stock 17" wheels. My dealer wanted list price for them (over $70), and I found them for under $60 including shipping at the first of the sites I listed. Each of these sites allows you to look up the price and availability for parts by entering the Ford part #s. Since you already have these you might be able to save yourself some money.

gaberubin said:
do the heated seats also have an, uhm, cooling option? cooled seats? i know lexus and some GM cars offer the cooled seats...

Chrysler offers a cup holder that will heat and cool your drink in the new Sebring!

I can't wait for heated seats. Leather and Heated seats should be a standard feature on all cars that are sold in the snow belt.

www.checkcorp.com
I have their kit in my car (driver and passenger). They sponsored my car for a past SEMA show and their kit has been flawless. I used their switches on my seats, but it is just wire connectors so I am sure you could use any switches. They have 2 or 3 different kits avail with adjustable climate controls if you want. They sent me the basic kit and it is more than enough!

I've been looking at doing the exact same thing. Just curious though how much different do the 2007 heating controls look as compared to the '06? does anyone have a picture? I have a 2006 GT and would like to get heated seats put in, but am not sure what the best way to do it is, going through the dealer (if so not sure what parts I need) or going through an aftermarket source; I tried contacting checkcorp for a local dealer but still haven't heard anything. Ideally I'd like it to look as stock as possible. Any suggestions for us?

I have bought the climate control module that houses the heated seat buttons. It plugs right in like the old one did and everything works just fine. On the back, pins 12 and 13 are to go to relays for the heated seats.

I'm not done yet, as I'm trying to wire properly, which means I need to add a 25 amp fuse in slot 66 in the electical bus. I'll let you know, but the buttons have power and work.

We just got our new 07' project stang and we ordered with the heated seats. Now looking in the owners manual...it does say there are a couple of relays behind the headlamp switch for the heated seats. You can hear them click when turning on. Also, I am not sure what controls the heating time....GEM module or what, but they do turn off after 10 minutes. Hope this may help.

Casey

I looked on e-bay for heated seats and got the kit ordered for $147 including shipping. It should arrive this week. I am intrigued by the idea of using 07 in-dash switches to control the heated seats. sounds like all one would need is the Ford module and a couple of relays. It would look better (like factory) rather than an aftermarket add-on... I'll have to check into this once my kit arrives.

I bought the climate control unit that houses the factory switches.

Here's how it works:

Driver's side:
12v Power through a 25 amp fuse goes to a relay (pin 30 and 86). From the back of the climate control module, you will need to attach a wire to pin#12. That wire goes to the relay (pin 85). Now attach a wire to the relay (pin 87) and that will go to the heated seat elements.

Passenger's side:
12v Power through same 25 amp fuse goes to a different relay (pin 30 and 86). From the back of the climate control module, you will need to attach a wire to pin#13. That wire goes to the relay (pin 85). Now attach a wire to the relay (pin 87) and that will go to the heated seat elements.

Hope this helps those who want a stock look.

Cheers

I had a shop install the heated seats in the car (I didn't want to mess with the upholstery or sensors in the seat.) Cost me $200 Cdn per seat. I know there are those who installed their own, but I only did the switches in the dash.

Cheers