Revvs like heck on startup?

06GTVert

Aug 11, 2005
My 06 really revvs high when starting cold. It is quite annoying. Runs up over 2000 RPM, and hangs there a few seconds then slowly comes down. Is this normal, can a tune fix it? And I'm in Texas, so what I mean when I say start cold, is like 70 degrees.

• Sponsors (?)

Jeez! I never noticed mine doing this until after I got a custom tune (after long-tube headers, among other things) - I thought it was the tune causing it, but I guess I only noticed it because my exhaust is louder. :doh:

every mustang I have ever owned has done this, it is not a problem. i am sure every car does this you just don't notice it...probably due to the V8 and the fact that the car is loud, it makes the revving more noticeable on startup.

My '03 does the same thing, if I haven't started it up in a while it will rattle at first due to the oil starvation at start up. So, if it's been awhile since I've started it, I'll just bump the starter without starting it and then hit it again and when it lights off it doesn't rev over 1400-1500 rpms. My Sons '04 doesn't rev past 1400 rpms at start up and nor does my 4.6 '04 truck, actually about 1200-1300 on it. I test drove other trucks before the one I got and some of those reved over 2200 on start up and some didn't???? It seems to me it should be able to be tuned out by someone with the proper equipment and knowledge.