Rich, Lean what does it Mean

StangClear

Founding Member
May 21, 2002
Elkton, MD
Since I am not too swift in this area, are there any tell tale signs of these conditions? Or, how do you know? Someone explain what these terms mean, I have an idea but don't want to sound stupid. Thanks

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

A car running rich is burning with more gas than air. The exhaust's fregrance is laced a little more with the smell of gasoline, but generaly isn't a bad thing unless it's extreme.

A lean condition occurs when a car burns more air than gas. This melts engine parts. It's exhaust fumes have a distinct smell that I can't realy convey over the internet. The only way to know is fist hand. When a car runs realy lean it feels like it burns your eyes to be near it.

PoXiC said:
A car running rich is burning with more gas than air. The exhaust's fregrance is laced a little more with the smell of gasoline, but generaly isn't a bad thing unless it's extreme.

A lean condition occurs when a car burns more air than gas. This melts engine parts. It's exhaust fumes have a distinct smell that I can't realy convey over the internet. The only way to know is fist hand. When a car runs realy lean it feels like it burns your eyes to be near it.

:stupid:

lean = having a greater ammount of air in your optimal air to fuel ratio
rich = having a greater ammount of fuel in your optimal air to fuel ratio

PoXiC said:
A car running rich is burning with more gas than air. The exhaust's fregrance is laced a little more with the smell of gasoline. A lean condition occurs when a car burns more air than gas. This melts engine parts. It's exhaust fumes have a distinct smell that I can't realy convey over the internet. The only way to know is fist hand. When a car runs realy lean it feels like it burns your eyes to be near it.

Good, easy way to describe the conditions. :nice:

mine smells like gas. It only started smelling like that when I put my o/r X pipe in. I was thinking that it's just cause the cats aren't there to burn off the upburned gas. Is that true? I don't see why I would be running rich or lean, all i've done is the X pipe and welded in mufflers.

my friends always talk about how my car is so rich that they can't stand to drive behind me. so I go and get it dynoed and the car is extremely lean. how can this be?
it would puff some black smoke when it was LEAN and after the guy used a little trick to make it rich it did not smoke at all. am i just stupid. any thoughts? thanks.

sorry i'm not trying to hijack the thread i'm just trying to figure out the old saying "if the exhaust smells like gas then your are running rich".

SVTSTEEDA said:
my friends always talk about how my car is so rich that they can't stand to drive behind me. so I go and get it dynoed and the car is extremely lean. how can this be?
it would puff some black smoke when it was LEAN and after the guy used a little trick to make it rich it did not smoke at all. am i just stupid. any thoughts? thanks.

sorry i'm not trying to hijack the thread i'm just trying to figure out the old saying "if the exhaust smells like gas then your are running rich".

What was his little trick??, how can we level out the A/F ratios???

seems to me that the computer should do the recalibration on a/f ratios. i think optimum is 10:1 or 11:1. Your front O2 sensors may need to be cleaned/replaced if its rich or lean. another thing thats always good to do is after you intall a new mod, run the car around for a day, then unplug the battery. this allows the computer to reset. when you reconnect the battery 30 mins later, it will redo all the calibrations. after an offroad x-pipe is installed, the exhaust will smell funny because a lot of the carbon monoxide is not converted to CO2. this gives it a sweeter smell. it will always smell like this because catalytic converters burn up excess fuel and convert CO to CO2.

Take your O2 sensors out (set closest to engine) and spray them down with Brakleen. this will clean all the carbon buildup out. if its still running rich/lean, you may need a retune on the MAF sensor or new O2 sensors.

2001GTMILT said:
What was his little trick??, how can we level out the A/F ratios???

He was told by a Vortech employee that you can mess with the FMU. My diaphragm or whatever was not lifting properly to release the fuel i guess. What he did was drill and "x" across the top of the FMU plate after he removed it from the car. This relieves the pressure. PLEASE do not try anything yourself without someone giving you BETTER info about this. I tried to understand what he did as I was there when he did it (takes 10 seconds) but do no want to hurt anyone's vehicle by giving bad advice or by explaining things completely wrong. After he did this my a/f ratio went down from around 14.5:1 to around 12:1. Basically a 2-2.5 point benefit across the board (it did drop the hp/tq of course)