Rich, similer to synned

deadlast

Mar 30, 2005
Belmont, MA
i got my car inspected today, and passed but thats not a concern. what happens with my car is that if you stall it once, no more luck. When you try to turn it on, it will, but then die instantly. if you give it a little gas, and hold it at 1500 or so for a few seconds, it goes back to normal idle, and doesnt shut off. so the mechanic at the shop didnt know this, stalled it, and just kept dying on him when he tried to restart. when he finally got it, and did the sniffer test, there was BLACK smoke coming from my tailpipes. I have never seen exhaust smoke so black except for those old diesel truck engines. i got the car about a month ago, and it didnt have problems until i did the plug wires. turned out i had 1 going to the wrong cylinder, so thats fixed. also, the spark plugs could be changed. I pulled #5 and it had a tanish powder over it. Lastly, when my car is parked, maybe 10 min after i drove it, it smells like gas around the rear. i have checked the ground, lines, filter, tank and there are no leaks, why the smell? so overall, any ideas what could be causing my richness from the described symptoms?

• Sponsors (?)

one idea is the plastic cover the covers the gas tank is retaining water and has rusted a hole in your gas tank. That just happened to me.

Another thing could be that it's just running really rich. Smell the tailpipes (NOT while it's running lol)

Check your whole ignition to make sure you have sufficient juice at all points. If you still have the stock starter I'd say go for a high torque mini. And please, I am by no means a mechanic. Just guessing as if it were a problem of my own. Good luck...

Anthony

Oh yeah and I'm thinkin the richness is causing the troubled startups. Get that thing tuned! I have never used one of those programmer chip things that everyone on here seems to know about (I'm a carb guy) maybe one of those will fix u up.