Richmond Excel 3:55 Gear Install Questions

• Sponsors (?)

After lots of time trying to figure out things, I decided to take the axle out and take it to a shop

The car is done, But there is a whine on deceleration

I have read that some whine is normal (from aftermarket gears) and could be cause by Backlash or wrong pre-load.. Right?

I was wondering since everything is new if after say break-in (100 or so miles) you would expect them to get quieter?

I figured my next step is to take it back to the shop...

if you stick with the stock shim more times than not it will work or be very close. i have never ever ever done anything more than .034 but usually it is
.030 or .032. i usually have to adjust the carrier shims just a little towards the pinion. maybe .010 or so. an important step that i didn't see mentioned at all was the rolling torque on the pinion snout. you should have 20 in lbs. of rolling resistance on it. too tight or two loose will result in bearing failure pretty quickly. your paint markes looked alright but the carrier needed to be moved slightly for less backlash it looks like. that would have prolly got ride of your coast whine. when you are doing those patterns make sure you turn the carrier....NOT the pinion. it makes a difference. you should also try to keep a little resistance on the pinion too. gear swaps are only scary if you make them. if someone at the factory could put it together than any one of us should be able to do it....as long as we have hands that is lol. as soon as you let anything intimidate you is the point you will lose the battle for sure. :nice: