Roll Cage Question

ImportEater98

Mar 17, 2003
Worcester, MA
As you may know i am putting together a trunk car. The car is completely stripped. I am in the process of puttring the rearend and front suspension/brakes in. I am at the point, with the interior gutted to absolutely nothing, where i am thinking roll cage. I want to get it certified, so i'll be subbing out the work to a shop that installs them. Should i put the full interior back in before i send it to the shop, or should i set it up while its gutted?
Also while I'm on the topic, what sort of modifications/cutting to interior panels must be done? I am probably going with a competition engineering 8 point set up. Says in the catalog that its custom fit, no cutting, or notching. I know that means the cage is custom fit, but what holes need to be made?
Any help/advice on this subject would be appreciated, as i plan to order the cage if that is, indeed, the next step.
Thanks!
-John "Importeater"

• Sponsors (?)

Well it depends if u want full interior or not first off. I went with my interior in mine. It is a race car and a weekend cruiser. I only put my door panels on and my seats in (front and back). I had the guy bend the cage to fit my interior. I had the back bars go through where the speakers are in the notch. I also used a competition engineering 8 pt cage.

Well i am going to be running door panels, dash, center console, and rear interior panels (the ones under the sail windows). I am however going to run a rear seat delete, and a very minimal stereo system. Most likley just putting speakers up front. So i guess you could say full interior minus rear seat.

I have a 92 coupe with no back seat and minimal stereo because its so loud..I found a company called LINK that fabricates susb, sheet metal and roll cages for off road vehicles, he is gonna fab a 8-10 pt cage for the true all business look, i expect to pay near a thousand bucks for him to do it right and re install my interioe.

Im sure that will be a nice job for a grand. I am not looking to spend a grand. Hell, i don't even want a roll cage, but the car i am building, due to IHRA rules, is going to need a cage (11.49 ET or quicker). I just want something that will pass tech, and not break the bankroll, ya know?

autoXr1 said:
So, you drag racers just weld in a cage without welding the seams on the unibody? Anyone have issues with components tearing apart from the unibody?

I was going to tie my cage into the lower torque supports and just weld the seam on the upper supports. Lately I've been thinking of just doing the upper supports. Have you seen components tearing of off the unibody before :(
mike.