Rollcall...Fluidyne Owners Report!

SuperSync

Founding Member
Jul 20, 2002
Asheville, NC
Hello fellow 'stangers!

I am (was) the proud owner of a Fluidyne radiator until a few weeks ago. At about 14 months/5000 miles it began to leak a little around where the fins are brazed into the tank on the driver's side near the top. Not a big leak, mind you, but a leak none the less, and only when the system pressurizes itself fully.

I have read many threads in the past, as well as the "Reviews" section here on SN, and it appears to be a common problem with these units, so I would like to see replies from other Fluidyne owners, good or bad experiences.

If you would, post the approximate age of your Fluidyne, and whether or not you've had leaks/issues.

Thanks a bunch!

SS

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks RC...

Yep, you guys don't see single degree low temps there in the winter, though.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with that? Expansion of the radiator welds or something when they go from extreme cold to 180*+ ...

Any more Fluidyners, good or bad?

Well, i have had mine for around a year and a half, i have had no leaks other than rad. cap fitment issues (stupidity) I am also in the southern weather the coldest it has gotten the past two years is like 15* So i guess that could be a factor.

jason

ewe...i was debating on getting one in the spring. we are seeing -20* as a windchill right now and thats how it has been for a few nights. hope it doesnt have anything to do with the cold cause ill be one pissed of man. any other good radiators out there??

Ive had mine for about 6-7 months but only about 5000 miles. I had an odd leak from somewhere, no visible leaks, no trails, no anything yet I would still have a puddle. I only noticed this when it was cold, so the temperature could be a factor. It also could be the kind of radiator fluid you use, with aluminum radiators I belive we are supposed to use the pink crap since its less corrosive (or somethin like that) than the normal green stuff. Also, ever since I switched to the pink crap I have not noticed my mysterious puddle, even when its cold.

Mine started leaking about 2 months after putting it in. I'm kinda pissed about it because there is a chance it cannot be fixed. I'm thinking about going back to a stock OE replacement. I WOULD NOT recommend buying a Fluidyne. Go with a stock replacement, 180 T-stat, and manual fan switch or a chip to lower the fan temps.

How much do the Summit ones cost? This is another alternative.

Glenn said:
I'm replacing mine today. After 20k miles~3years, mine is rotted.
I need to find out why. Electrolosys (sp?)?
I had an Electrolysis problem when I first got my fluidyne. The brand of antifreeze that I used was the problem. I found out that Prestone in the yellow bottle and 1 bottle of water wetter fixed it.

I have had my fluidyne for over 3 years. After 1 year the only problem I had was it started leaking af at one of the tranny cooler lines when I was removing one of my fittings. This was an easy fix, all I did was put a plastic washer there and that solved it.

I've had Fluidynes for a couple years now... and I'm on my third one... Its real common for them to get leaks right where the fins meet the tanks... or at least that was the case on the two that have been replaced on my car. I would call Fluidyne in Ontario California directly and ask to speak with Steve Rodin... He is a great guy, and will take care of you. He replaced both my radiators that were both out of warranty... that started to leak around 14 months.. Even though I used distilled water, and a 50/50 mix... He says that they understand that their are problems, and have made changes to remedy them.... and that is true, because all three of my radiators have looked different, with each one fitting better, and looking better as well. My latest one has the newest changes, which include a seperate thicker plate of aluminum, that is used where the fins pass through... This is supposed to help to keep them from leaking.... We'll see how long it lasts...

So... I totally support Fluidyne, because they are a stand up company, and take care of their customers year after year...

The previous owner of my car put one in. I have no idea why. Unless your stock radiator is broken, there is no reason to replace it.

Some people will say "aluminum is lighter than brass", but it's the weight of the water that makes a radiator heavy.

It's $300 that he could have spent on gears or shorty headers.

On the other hand, it does not leak, even though it was in a low speed front end colission that bent the radiator support a bit.

331 cobra said:
The previous owner of my car put one in. I have no idea why. Unless your stock radiator is broken, there is no reason to replace it.

Some people will say "aluminum is lighter than brass", but it's the weight of the water that makes a radiator heavy.

It's $300 that he could have spent on gears or shorty headers.

On the other hand, it does not leak, even though it was in a low speed front end colission that bent the radiator support a bit.
The stock rad's suck. They are like 1-2" thick. Here in Texas It was getting over 100* in the summer and my car was constantly over heating. If you do a search you will see how many guys have problems with the stocks rad's and that it is worth the $300+ dollars for one. It's cheaper to buy a rad then keep replacing head gaskets and other parts due to heat. If I had replaced my rad before the overheating problem during the summer I wouldn't have to replace my head gaskets and mill my heads because they warped.

Surprised to see this thread got dug up again.

Anyway, follow-up on my Fluidyne...

It started leaking at 14 months from install and less than 5000 total miles on it. Leaking on the driver's side where the fins and tank meet up.

A "Customer Service Request" on Fluidyne's website got me an e-mail from a rep with the Charlotte, NC office, who said "we should be able to do a good-will return for you"...when I called the aforementioned rep, he advised me that the "policies" were changing and would have to call me back.

A week later he calls back and tells me that instead of the original cross-ship w/a credit card idea he had, I would now have to return the radiator, have it inspected, and based on what they found, I *MIGHT* get a replacement...plus I'd have to dig up all receipts from purchase....car down for who knows how many weeks.............

I'm sorry, Fluidyne, I guess *I* was the idiot for buying your product. To flip-flop on your policies really sucks, and quite frankly, I don't think I'm gonna waste my UPS money to send it down there and have them look at it.

I think I'd rather just get me a stocker or make one of the Summit radiators fit. I'd hate to think I was advertising for Fluidyne everytime I opened my hood anyhow.

Bottom line, until Fluidyne quits experimenting on it's buyers' cars, don't buy one.

SS

ford racing has a thicker radiator for the stang. i bought my car with one already in it. i have had the car for a year and a half. with a 180 degree thermostat the temp guage goes to the L and stays even in 90-100 degree weather.

You should be able to use a rad trouble free of leaks for at least 5 years !! That even goes for up here in the great white north. I'm glad I read this thread becuae I won't touch Fluidyne now. I'm still using my stock 95 rad and it's just like new.