rotary buffer

cronin49

Banned
Aug 12, 2003
SC
Hello, has anyone used a ROTARY buffer? Are the really as dangerous to use as I am told? My '03 has a few minor scratches that won't come out by hand. Probably because of some overzealous washing and waxing by me. I am thinking about buying one, just to use once a year or so to remove any scratches. my car is Laser Red, and shows every little mark. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

In the hands of someone who has never used one, YES. You can burn through your paint faster than you can say "repaint". If you really want to get one, practice on a spare panel that you can usually get from a junk yard or a body shop. It takes some time to really get a feel for the machine and to learn the proper pad and polish selection. Another option is a dual action polisher. I am not talking the kind you find at WalMart or Sears. It is made by Porter Cable and is about 90% as effective as a true rotary buffer. The nice thing is you CANNOT burn your paint with this machine. You can find more information on it at the following links.

http://www.properautocare.com/porcabpolac.html

Meguiars Power Polishing Clinic
http://www.meguiars.com/clinics/clinics_template.cfm

Go to www.autopia.org and do a search for any of the following strings "porter cable", "7424" or "7336".

I also have a Laser Red GT and I do have a Makita rotary but have not felt the need to use it on my paint yet as the Porter Cable has been able to take care of everything thus far.

Meguiars #7, #26
2760bigfront726.jpg

Meguiars #7, #26
2760front726.jpg

I have used a single speed orbital buffer from Advanced Auto on my black 01 GT. I didnt burn through the clearcoat cause I was sure to use plenty of the polish and I used a wool bonnet. Although wool can be aggressive, as long as you dont apply great deals of pressure and use a heavy amount of the polish, you should be ok.

Dark Knight GT said:
I have used a single speed orbital buffer from Advanced Auto on my black 01 GT. I didnt burn through the clearcoat cause I was sure to use plenty of the polish and I used a wool bonnet. Although wool can be aggressive, as long as you dont apply great deals of pressure and use a heavy amount of the polish, you should be ok.

Actually he is talking about a "rotary" buffer. Rotary indicates a circular motion like an electric drill. What you have is an orbital polisher in which the pad rotates in a circular motion but, the shaft also "wiggles" back and forth so that the pad is never in one place long enough to generate enough heat to do any damage. What I suggested is somehwere in between those two machines.
<br><hr>
Orbital polisher, also called random orbital polisher typically found at auto parts stores, sears or other discount stores.
2760orbital.jpg

Dual action polisher, made by Porter Cable. Adjustable speed, action similar to the orbital but can run at much higher speeds.
2760dap.jpg

Rotary buffer, pad spins in a circular motion like an electric drill. Requires some skill to master. As I said before it can and if used improperly WILL burn through paint faster than you can blink an eye or say "repaint"
2760rotary.gif

There is no reason to fear the rotary though if you use good judgement and practice on something other than your pride and joy. You might also want to do some research on the proper pad and polish selection which also wouldn't hurt with the orbital or dual action polishers as well. I would read all I could find on sites like www.autopia.org and www.showcargarage.com for starters.

rjstaaf said:
Actually he is talking about a "rotary" buffer. Rotary indicates a circular motion like an electric drill. What you have is an orbital polisher in which the pad rotates in a circular motion but, the shaft also "wiggles" back and forth so that the pad is never in one place long enough to generate enough heat to do any damage. What I suggested is somehwere in between those two machines.
<br><hr>
Orbital polisher, also called random orbital polisher typically found at auto parts stores, sears or other discount stores.
2760orbital.jpg

Dual action polisher, made by Porter Cable. Adjustable speed, action similar to the orbital but can run at much higher speeds.
2760dap.jpg

Rotary buffer, pad spins in a circular motion like an electric drill. Requires some skill to master. As I said before it can and if used improperly WILL burn through paint faster than you can blink an eye or say "repaint"
2760rotary.gif

There is no reason to fear the rotary though if you use good judgement and practice on something other than your pride and joy. You might also want to do some research on the proper pad and polish selection which also wouldn't hurt with the orbital or dual action polishers as well. I would read all I could find on sites like www.autopia.org and www.showcargarage.com for starters.

Thanks for the correction. Have any idea where I can get some foam bonnets for my rotary buffer at ? I cant find any around here. I have a couple of wool ones but I dont want to use that with my swirl mark remover. Any ideas ?

Dark Knight GT said:
Well, Im probably out of luck because mine is a 6in. Oh well, I guess its time to buy a new one. BTW, how good is wool for applying Meguiars number 7 polish ?

You don't need wool for #7. The term "polish" is used differently by every manufacturer out there. #7 does not contain any cleaners abrasive or chemical. It is a filler in that it contains oils that fill the poors and imperfections in your paint and creates a nice gloss. It does not offer any protection for your paint so it has to be topped with a wax or sealant.

Ok. I was just wondering if it would be best for a black car to be applied by hand with a Meguiars foam pad or by rotarty buffer with a wool bonnet. I understand its a pure polish and doesnt need time to dry or anything of that nature. However, I know it bonds to your paint so I was just wondering which technique is best for the application. I will be following the application with both Meguiars number 20 and then number 26. Thanks for your help.

You should probably use something like 3M Perfect it III Machine Glaze (napa has it) with the rotory. I would not use the wool bonnet, use a white foam polishing pad (or yellow cutting pad) as the wool is going to be very agressive and possibly burn much easier than a foam pad would. www.topoftheline.com sells pads

Meg's and 3M make a "swirl markremover" but they do a very poor job of removing swirls.

Dark Knight GT said:
Ok. I was just wondering if it would be best for a black car to be applied by hand with a Meguiars foam pad or by rotarty buffer with a wool bonnet. I understand its a pure polish and doesnt need time to dry or anything of that nature. However, I know it bonds to your paint so I was just wondering which technique is best for the application. I will be following the application with both Meguiars number 20 and then number 26. Thanks for your help.

I actually prefer to use machines for surface prep with abrassives or chemical cleaners. I usually apply glazes like #7 and waxes/sealants by hand. Just my preference though. There is no reason you can't use your orbital polisher but, I would avoid the wool and terry applicators because they both have a cutting action and will more than likely leave behind swirl marks. Don't they make wax applicator bonnets? I would use that for applying if you really want to use the orbital polisher.

Dark Knight GT said:
Ok. I was just wondering if it would be best for a black car to be applied by hand with a Meguiars foam pad or by rotarty buffer with a wool bonnet.

From previous messages in this thread I thought you said you had an orbital polisher???? If it is the machine you said you bought from Advance Auto it IS an orbital polisher. Just want to make sure we don't get other people who may also read this thread confused.

rjstaaf said:
From previous messages in this thread I thought you said you had an orbital polisher???? If it is the machine you said you bought from Advance Auto it IS an orbital polisher. Just want to make sure we don't get other people who may also read this thread confused.

EDIT: I appologize. Its an orbital from Autozone. Single speed. My mistake. So you think a wax applicator bonnet is best ? It kind of feels like terry cloth but a bit softer. I seen some yesterday at Sears. I cant find any foam bonnets for a 6in buffer though.

LouisianaZJ said:
You should probably use something like 3M Perfect it III Machine Glaze (napa has it) with the rotory. I would not use the wool bonnet, use a white foam polishing pad (or yellow cutting pad) as the wool is going to be very agressive and possibly burn much easier than a foam pad would. www.topoftheline.com sells pads

Meg's and 3M make a "swirl markremover" but they do a very poor job of removing swirls.

disregard this post then, it applies to rotory use.

you probably will not remove any swirls with the single speed from autozone. It will not be fast enough. It is only good for applying wax, not for polishes.