RPMOutlet Option A

Hiltonizer

Mar 2, 2004
Rowley, MA
I'm considering the Option A package for my 2003 v6 stang from RPMOutlet.com - it consists of a BBK 70m ThrottleBody + Spacer, and MAC CAI.

It advertises 28.2rwhp gain, is this realistic?

anyone had experience with this package or these mods? ive heard the thottle body can cause torque loss

• Sponsors (?)

that setup will not get you near 28 rwhp gain, the TB is worthless on a stock car, if your lucky the spacer will give you at least 2-7 rwhp and the CAI might give you the same. Don't think 28 rwhp, I say around 5-15 rwhp give or take a few. Save it and buy some gears, it'll be faster then the 3 together. hope that helps

ONZZ said:
that setup will not get you near 28 rwhp gain, the TB is worthless on a stock car, if your lucky the spacer will give you at least 2-7 rwhp and the CAI might give you the same. Don't think 28 rwhp, I say around 5-15 rwhp give or take a few. Save it and buy some gears, it'll be faster then the 3 together. hope that helps

Problem with buying gears is you can say goodbye to freeway driving. I was thinking of slapping some 4.10's in mine, but I don't want to top at 90 mph.

ONZZ said:

yeah, but with gears you'll top out around 90 mph...that sucks. :notnice:

Before I traded my V6 in I had replaced the rear end in my car and it was DAMN worth it. If you drive an AODE then go ahead and go with 4.10's but on the other hand if you've got a 5spd then 3.73's are a beautiful thing for your car. If you've really got the moeny and you wanna upgrade the differential for an 8.8" then go with 3.55's.

I had 3.73's with a Posi rear in mine and it certainly didn't top out at 90mph and the freeway driving wasn't hurt all that much in my opinion. Once I got my Diablo Chip to get the speedometer recalibrated my gears were the best mod I ever made on my car. 3.73's in a 5spd are worth at least .4-.5 in the ¼mile.

Basically, don't get the intake package. BUY GEARS AND A DIFFERENTIAL. Just drop a K&N filter in there for now.

ONZZ said:

You are correct except that it is a THROTTLE BODY spacer, not INTAKE spacer and therefore is worth about 0hp. Also, the 70mm TB isn't just worthless, its BAD on a stock car (-5hp). Finally, based on dyno numbers and personal experience, the CAI is probably worth about 8-10whp...

0 + -5 + 8= 3whp

This package + 28whp claim = LOAD OF CRAP

Don't waste your money on this package. Go with gears like the other guy said. Gears don't hurt mileage around town b/c it just requires you to shift more to stay at the same RPM. The only time it could hurt you is if you cruise the Highway at 80mph or something when there is no other gear to shift to.

Hiltonizer said:
I'm considering the Option A package for my 2003 v6 stang from RPMOutlet.com - it consists of a BBK 70m ThrottleBody + Spacer, and MAC CAI.

It advertises 28.2rwhp gain, is this realistic?

anyone had experience with this package or these mods? ive heard the thottle body can cause torque loss

you will get close to it. I dynoed my car with just a BBK CAI on it and I got 168 to the wheels. I put on a 70MMTB, 73mm MAF and a Diablo chip and I am getting 200rwhp and 235rwtq. They guy who did the chip said it only added 12rwhp so everything else added the power.

Don't trust people who go by Hearsay. Dyno results show it. Gears will get you in your RPM range quicker but it won't add any power that your car doesn't have.

i don't care what your dyno results show.........gears are better then a 70mm throttle being compensated with an intake and spacer. you MIGHT get a few horses outta that TBody but you'll lose torque. THIS IS A FRIGGIN FACT!!!!!!

Remember:
Horsepower sells cars; torque wins races.

GO WITH THE GEARS!!!!!!

Mustang_02 said:
you will get close to it. I dynoed my car with just a BBK CAI on it and I got 168 to the wheels. I put on a 70MMTB, 73mm MAF and a Diablo chip and I am getting 200rwhp and 235rwtq. They guy who did the chip said it only added 12rwhp so everything else added the power.

Don't trust people who go by Hearsay. Dyno results show it. Gears will get you in your RPM range quicker but it won't add any power that your car doesn't have.

Dynos can lie just like people, bud. The REAL results are @ the track (hence the comparison to gears, the only proven mod in this discussion).

I bet I can explain a big reason for your gain... Well, first off, were the conditions (humidity, temp, etc...) the same for both dyno runs? Did you rev the car to the same RPM on both runs, or did you rev higher for the second go-round?

Seeing as how you have the 73mm MAF, I am going to guess you have a C&L kit. If so, then you may very well be running that car on the dangerous side of too lean. C&L meters are notorious for making their power by leaning out the engine. Only problem with this is you mix high revs with no fuel and, well, you all get the idea. :)

Anywho, if you legitimately saw those gains, congrats but I'd say you are the exception to the rule. I only rolled the dyno for 170 rwhp @ 5100 rpm with the cai, duals and ASP pulley. Again, I just don't think these gains are realistic enough for them to be used as the selling point, but that's just me.

Mustang_02 said:
They guy who did the chip said it only added 12rwhp so everything else added the power.

My problem with this is that his "projected" gain is great as a reference, nothing more. Noone can absolutely predict what one mod will do as far as the gains it will provide on each individual car. There's a good chance that you car responded better than 12 rwhp; for that matter, it could have been less. I just don't like the idea of making those blanket statements about gains, and then "assuming" the rest came from one source or another. I'm assuming he advanced the hell out of the timing and thats where alot of your power is coming from, at least where the chip is concerned. If so, your car may have respnded better to the advance than others.

Seeing as how you have the 73mm MAF, I am going to guess you have a C&L kit. If so, then you may very well be running that car on the dangerous side of too lean. C&L meters are notorious for making their power by leaning out the engine. Only problem with this is you mix high revs with no fuel and, well, you all get the idea.
All I have is the 73mm MAF connecting to my BBK CAI pipe to my 70mm TB. I am actually running fat on air/fuel. 13's actually. He gave me the sheets when he dynoed the chip. Oh and he knows it was 12 because he ran my car on the dyno before he put the chip in. Not BS on my part, just facts from him.

And yes my car is still gaining power in the RPMS due to my 14 degrees of timing it has on it. Down side...I run Premium all the time now.

Oh and I will be getting 3.73's in my car as well so I wasn't SAYING NOT TO GET THEM!!