Run in with an LS1

ROLLIN5.0

Nov 19, 2004
Tulsa, OK
I was just on the highway a few minutes ago. I was driving 70 in the fast lane, and the other two lanes were pretty conjested. All of a sudden a Camaro jumps over in front of me that's going 60mph. It was a red SS Vert (black top) with the newer lights (looked totally stock). So the first opening I get in the middle lane, I go to pass, and the guy speeds up to keep me from getting around (from 60 to about 80), then when I get back behind him, he slows back down. The next time there was an opening, I try again, and he does the same thing, so I get back behind him. By the time the Camaro had coasted back to 70 we were coming up on the next opening, and it was about a 1/4 mile long. I dropped it down to third, and got right in his ass. As soon as I had room, I jerked over, and flogged it. I punch it in third (moving beside him), hit fourth at 90mph, and pulled up to 110mph. At 110 his front bumper was just behind my door handle, and he let off, and gave a thumbs up. I know he probably should have walked me, but he didn't :D It sure was pretty watching that thing go backwards. Just a taste of things to come after I start dumping more money in this thing, I guess.
Brandon

• Sponsors (?)

He had to be doing something to still be on my door at 110mph, but I know my car shouldn't run that well against one. It was still fun though. Usually I see all the real cars when I'm in our Expedition, and can't play with them. When I'm in my car I usually see nothing but the fartcan "race cars".
Brandon

I had a little run in with an LS1 T/A last night. He was right on my ass so I got on it at about 20-25mph in second up to about 100mph. I jumped ahead of him by a couple cars, then he stayed right with me but wasn't gaining one bit. Of course I was shifting kinda slow at 5200-5400 due to the stock T-5 and Im still breaking in the engine. Plus I could tell my engine was pretty heat-soaked. I did the same run earlier last night and the car felt much faster then.

Unfortunately, I shifted the T-5 a little too fast because its making a lot more noise now. :(

I haven't had the chance to stop light race an LS1 yet. I've only gotten the chance to come up behind and ride their bumper a little until they punch it. Done that twice, and both times I had to let off the gas cause I was getting too close. I've also done it to an STI, except i actually swung out into the other lane and had plenty left in third gear to pass him. I had to drop back because of oncoming traffic. And don't think I'm a crazy driver, these all happened around 5:30am with basically no one else on the road, on my way to work the past couple weeks.

Dave

ROLLIN5.0 said:
He had to be doing something to still be on my door at 110mph, but I know my car shouldn't run that well against one. It was still fun though. Usually I see all the real cars when I'm in our Expedition, and can't play with them. When I'm in my car I usually see nothing but the fartcan "race cars".
Brandon
He wasnt trying...you would be :owned: by that car with your mods.

RC

I have respect for LS1s but am I the only one that thinks they sould like ****? I've heard mutliple LS1s in our shop the last one I heard was a vette with Bassani long tubes and an SLP loudmouth and it sounded like crap. They sound like a 6 on steroids down low and they're raspy up top.

yellowstang1994 said:
I have respect for LS1s but am I the only one that thinks they sould like ****? I've heard mutliple LS1s in our shop the last one I heard was a vette with Bassani long tubes and an SLP loudmouth and it sounded like crap. They sound like a 6 on steroids down low and they're raspy up top.

Yea I've only ever heard a couple that sounded good. One was a cammed out LS1 Trans Am with god only knows what done to it.

This reminds me. On friday, I absolutely rapped an '05 GTO. I know it had exhuast, because it was really loud and sounded horrible. It was really fun though. I took him in first, second, and third and he even got a slight jump on me. Then he almost hit the curb and proceeded to do a ricer fly-by. My buddies in another car drove by him and gave him a thumbs down and told him he was owned. It was great!

He must have been a really bad driver, b/c those are supposed to have 400 hp stock. Therefore, I beat him, not the car.

a buddy has a 98 formula LS1 and when I still had my stock long block I ran him with my 125 shot of n2o. He beat me, and it was all I could do to keep up, I did have major traction issues at the launch and 2nd gear. At the track he ran a 13.2@104 or 105 and I ran a 13.1 @107 (again me with the stock longblock) All he had was gears, and a hypertech (to work with his gears) tuner.

He now has longtubes, catless mid pipe, borla catback, and a bigger MAF, and SLP lid. He should be in the 12.8range easy.

I like the ls1 motor, just the whole car around it sucks to me. That and they seem to not realy handle age well, his had an oil problem and blew the motor up with only 50k-ish miles. I know another guy whos starter cracked the block and GM had to replace the whole motor. They sure do run though.