Running lights on '97 GT-question

Purple_Stang

Apr 11, 2005
Colorado
Ok, stupid question for you all. I was looking at a thread that has pics of 96-98 GT's. All of the cars have running lights in small space below on the lower air dam. Was this standard on all 96-98 GT's? The reason I ask is that my '97 has lights down there, but they are not factory. They are some aftermarket numbers installed by the previous owner (blue lenses, see pic). I assumed he put them there because there was nothing in that spot to begin with, but now I am starting to think he replaced the factory running lights with these. I have never been able to turn them on because I assumed they were wired into some custom switch somewhere that I never located. Assuming he used the stock wiring, and just replace the stock running lights with these aftermarket lights, how would you turn on the running lights on a stock 96-98 GT?

Attachments

• running_lights.jpg
    running_lights.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Sponsors (?)

do you have cloth interior or non power windows? Their is a version of our GT's with the 248 package delete...so they don't have leather, power windows, fog lights and some don't have rear spoilers..or the owner just replaced them because the stock fogs are not that bright.

are you talking about the Fog lights? Those will only be activated when you have your regular headlights on. There is a switch in the center console to activate them. It is very possible you have two blown bulbs and that is why they dont work.

I do have cloth seats and no power windows. I do have a rear spoiler though. I have never seen a switch anywhere in my center console.

I tried to follow the wiring one time to see where it goes from the lights, but lost it behind the dash. It is also possible they are not even hooked to a switch at all. I was just wondering how you would turn on the lights if you had the stock lights.

Purple_Stang said:
I do have cloth seats and no power windows. I do have a rear spoiler though. I have never seen a switch anywhere in my center console.

I tried to follow the wiring one time to see where it goes from the lights, but lost it behind the dash. It is also possible they are not even hooked to a switch at all. I was just wondering how you would turn on the lights if you had the stock lights.

If you had stock lights, then they would be turned on the way I said. If he wired those in himself, then I don't really know where the switch would be.

Ok, thanks. Sounds like it has the delete package, so he wired in his own lights and either didn't put in a switch, or I can't find it.

Are the stock lights easy to find for purchace? I'd rather install those then the ones he put in there.

<edit> Nevermind, found them on eBay for $40-$50, including bracket. Thanks.

the stock are not very good...for the price you would pay for the stock lights/brackets/wires/switch etc you would have almost spent enough to buy a nice set of Hella or PIAA fogs that would work better.

DropTopPony said:
the stock are not very good...for the price you would pay for the stock lights/brackets/wires/switch etc you would have almost spent enough to buy a nice set of Hella or PIAA fogs that would work better.

I can vouch for this... stock foglights are low output and prone to sealing issues. Both of mine developed stress cracks and filled up with water.

squares98 said:
agreed the stock lights are useless, besides providing the look of fog lights.
That's why they call them "FOG" lights.....Fog lights are designed in such a way that the light is not reflected off of the fog and back into the driver's eyes. If you want bright lights that you can actually see, you need "DRIVING" lights.

As much as the stock fog light blow...they look a hell of a lot better than sticking aftermarket lights in there.

I think they are mainly for style really. Mine do jack at night. If i turn my fogs on and off I can't tell a difference at all...i just like how it looks with them on, especially with just the parking lamps only and no headlights :)