?'s about handheld tuners

Don 95Vert said:
The SCT XCal 2 will datalog all the parameters the same parameters a professional tuner does when tuning a car - but you'd also need a wideband to do it right. The Xcal 2 will also read and clear DTCs and you can make small tuning changes with it either with a free program called Exterme Tune or if someone gets it from a dealer like us who has SCT's latest software, changes can be made right from the unit itself without a laptop. The base files - up to three, are put there by the dealer and if you need changes made to it - the dealer can just email you a new file.

For an additional $300 you can get the Pro Racer package to add to it so you can have all the software us dealers use.
Have the updates been released yet? I remember seeing a post about how the first batch of Xcal2's were not doing what they were advertised as being able to do.

• Sponsors (?)

bgrd351 said:
so it is just $300 later to get the Pro Racer upgrade? nice. you just might be getting my business in a couple of weeks. I have decided not to get the Tweecer software because it is just too much for a novice/noob tuner like me. give me a carb and timing light and I am fine. just havent played with the computer side of things. Thank you for the info. All I need now is a nice local shop that I can use for things that are beyond my knowledge. Anybody else live in Jax, Fl and know of a good local shop? :)

I don't think he meant they will "upgrade" you for $300 more later on. I could be wrong though.

As far as the Tweecer, I love it, but can be a lot to take in at first.
A few things to note about the tweecer.
1. Get the RT version with datalogging.
2. Don't bother if you don't have a laptop or at least plan on getting one soon.
3. Buy the SCT tuning manual. Some of the parameters are named a little differetly, but it they are close enough to understand, and it will make things much easier getting started.

but I have seen on some sites where you can buy the Pro Package upgrade (if you have tuner or chip already ) for around $300. that would be sweet. I could save the $$ right now and when I out grow or want to dive in farther and do tuning myself I can get the Pro upgrade. it's the intial cost of the Tweecer that gets me. this way I can change things like for 4.10's and etc that will be in the mail as soon as the $$ hits my acct. and datalog and read codes now.

big blue said:
This is probably going to sound picky but what about fuel mileage? Some of these guys claim better mileage is that even close to being true? (It might be a good selling point to my wife)

I keep track of mine (low MPG = problems) and as of this morning it's around 24.5 MPG highway. Before my tune and mods I was averaging between 21 and 23 MPG. However, It all depends on how you drive. I have the Predator with a custom tune.

You are correct. If you buy a XCal2 now for instance, you can later buy the Pro Racer software to use with it and not pay the full price of a Pro Racer Package. As Don 95Vert pointed out you will also need a wideband O2 datalogger in addition to the XCal 2 or use the A/F data from a dyno session.

Yes, you can buy an XCal 2 now and if you decide later to upgrade to a Pro Racer Package you can do that for $300 - with it you get the software, a software license for one vehicle and a base tune for your car to get you started. You also get access to the Pro Racer's board over at SCT. It does take a while to get it, because no dealer really has it in stock, eachPRP must be ordered from SCT, shipped to the dealer and shipped to you - they do not drop ship anything.

Here is an example of how it might work. We sell the XCal's 2 for $379 - as cheaply as SCT allows - and if you see them for less be hesitant, because SCT has minimum advertised prices for all their stuff and if someone sells below this, they may not be an SCT dealer for long. Then the Pro Racer package is $300. So you can either pay $679 up front or spread it out and get XCal 2 first to get you going, then later invest in the Pro Racer Package.

Not all of the things that SCT advertises can be done just yet with the XCal 2 - among them, changing MAFs and injectors - that may come with a later firmware upgrade. That's really the beauty of the XCal 2's - they won't be obsolete (for a while anyway) because they can add features and you just download the latest firmware and you get all the updates on yours. The Personal Xtreme tuning software is pretty basic, but it works OK with a laptop. The adjustments you can make with the handheld unit when you get it from those of us who can do that reflect the same types of changes you can make with Xtreme tune.

SCT has really nice software demos on their site - for all the software - Like LiveLink the datalogging software - I know because I did them all for SCT :D

I'd also recommend if you are getting the Pro Racer Package to get the SCT Tuning manual - it's not cheap, but it contains all the 'hidden' knowledge that tuner's use - it's really easy to read and understand and over 120 pages long. This may sound like spam, especially since I'm co-author of the tuning manual, but it really is the truth!! It was a TON of work!

Don

Don 95Vert said:
I'd also recommend if you are getting the Pro Racer Package to get the SCT Tuning manual - it's not cheap, but it contains all the 'hidden' knowledge that tuner's use - it's really easy to read and understand and over 120 pages long. This may sound like spam, especially since I'm co-author of the tuning manual, but it really is the truth!! It was a TON of work!

Don
If you are the co-author, then I have to say Great Work! I don't use the SCT software, but bought the book to use with the tweecer sofware. The book is worth much more than the $80 I paid for it. Easy to understand and full of information.:nice: