S/C for 3.8L

DJsZincGT

Founding Member
Aug 29, 2002
WV
I ran into a guy last night that has a S/C for a 3.8L Mustang that he needs to sell. He has a pretty good price tag on it, but I don't know too much about the 3.8L engine, and I'm wondering how well the 3.8L will hold up to a S/C. It will be going on my gf's car and it's her daily driver. I asked what all came with the kit and he said it was a Vortech S-trim with all the hardware, etc. to get it on the car. I asked him if he had a chip for the tune or what and he said it didn't need one, that the car did great without a chip or a tune. That seems kind of odd to me. For those of you that are running S/C's, what are you doing as far as tuning goes? Are you having chips burnt or having the computer reflashed or...? Any help will be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

DJsZincGT said:
I ran into a guy last night that has a S/C for a 3.8L Mustang that he needs to sell. He has a pretty good price tag on it, but I don't know too much about the 3.8L engine, and I'm wondering how well the 3.8L will hold up to a S/C. It will be going on my gf's car and it's her daily driver. I asked what all came with the kit and he said it was a Vortech S-trim with all the hardware, etc. to get it on the car. I asked him if he had a chip for the tune or what and he said it didn't need one, that the car did great without a chip or a tune. That seems kind of odd to me. For those of you that are running S/C's, what are you doing as far as tuning goes? Are you having chips burnt or having the computer reflashed or...? Any help will be appreciated.
Well, I ran my car without a chip or tune and with all the Vortech hardware and I know for a fact he's full of chit. I'm calling BS on him if he's saying it did not need anything. I have yet to get dynotuned, but my SCT chip from www.velocitymustangperformance.com made the car run like a dream, probably better than it did N/A. That is all you would need to at least get the car running safely and effectively. I am running the 8-9 lb V2-SQ kit and I really like it. Install was not too involved (tapping oil pan and relocating a/c is not as big of a deal as you'll see some people make it out to be). It really woke my car up above 3K or so. If you can get a good deal on it, then I say go for it as long as its in good shape.

You'll also need the the fuel upgrades in my sig to make it run correctly. This is all available from Justin @ the above link. I got the MAF, Inj, Pump and chip from him at the same time. Good luck and enjoy. :nice:

I've got various pics (assuming I can find them :) ) of the install and if you have any questions when you get to it, let me know and I'll see if I can't be of some help.