sad day.... Crashed my car.

often extensively repaired cars are BETTER than new since a good technician can get tolerances much closer than they were from the assembly line

No, the assembly line is mostly perfect. I'm sorry, I'll trust a mechanical robot over a "professional" that fixes body/frame damage. An assembly line robot is highly precise compared to a human, obviously.

• Sponsors (?)

You seem to contradict yourself a bit here. It will drive differently but you won't notice or feel it? Might want to re-think that.

I said it will drive differently, but I also said you may or may not notice the difference yourself.

If you wreck the frame, the original geometry and strength of the frame is weakened, now matter how you fix it. Car frames are built with the best precision and geometry from the factory. Any other mechanic won't even come close to a robot's final product.

ok so i went to the body shop today, the guy said the car is very very close to totalled.. He also said that he cuts the bent frame rails out and welds new ones in , or just completely replaces the front clip..

Also spoke with dad today, he said if the car totals out, he said he has no problem letting me get another mustang.. so we shall see what happens...... A cobra is in the same category as a mustang rightt????!!! lolol

\

Whatever helps you sleep at night:rolleyes:

You bend/tweak the frame, it's going to drive differently. You may not feel or notice the difference, but it's there. The geometry of the frame is weakened once it's bent and fixed. Your wining races has nothing to do with this conversation :shrug:

lol what do you think i did? Bent the frame back and just said hell lets ride with it? I bent it back, welded it and reinforced it.. who the hell would leave the frame in that sad of a state of disrepair? considering th fact that geometry is EVERYTHING when it comes to cornering a car, it sure as hell has plenty to do with it. To win a race the car obviously has to be hooked up, and if i can beat all those other non-wrecked cars with my bent up car you'd think that it wouldnt be off and i'd slide around everywhere.

And just for anyones info, the guy doesnt just take a tape measure and goes.. "well that looks sorta right, off an inch but what the hell!" and welds the sucker on. At my dads shop they use a laser guided machine that aligns it for you.. a robot correcting a bent piece that another robot had made.. hmm.. I don't see your state of reasoning valid about precision when the same machine that created it, fixes it. All i'm saying is they can be fixed, i'd never ever write off a saveable car if the frame rail was toast.. some people in here have little experience with welders and metal work apparently. You'd think with all those muscle car's being fixed with the frame rails and fire walls and floor pans, that they would fall to pieces and all with the way yall describe a bent frame rail. Hell, a bent one is better then a non-existant rusted one.

Either way man, good luck. Fix it if you want to keep it, junk it if you want to buy a cobra.. simple :nice:

Depends where the bend is. if its after the shock towers then it doesnt effect drivability....they are designed to bend there to save the rest of teh car. BUT if it bends the frame rail BEFORE the shock towers...car is toast and you have to cut the frontend off and replace it....then it wont drive the same.
Mine actually bent the frame rails too...but not anywhere close to what yours did in the pic. Mine are bent after the shock towers from what we have seen.

But yours should be fixable if thats all thats bent....buddy of mine seen one bent 6 inches out of wack and you could never tell anything happened.

insurence company called me today, the car totalled.. The frame rail hit the motor or sumthin also.. i dunno, im really upset. I guess all good things gotta come to an end.

Lookin for a 99 - 02 Cobra.... got 16,000 to spend... Think there is anythin out there for that price?

insurence company called me today, the car totalled.. The frame rail hit the motor or sumthin also.. i dunno, im really upset. I guess all good things gotta come to an end.

Lookin for a 99 - 02 Cobra.... got 16,000 to spend... Think there is anythin out there for that price?

you could get a nice 50k mile car for that.. stock and still have some to burn on some hotrod parts :nice:

buy it back. have yourself a track car to build for the next few years, than buy a used gt for daily driving.

I bought my wrecked 97 with slight frame damage, knowing that it would eventually become a track only car. I plan on buying a stock new edge or possibly 98 to drive as a daily driver/weekend car when not in my work vehicle.

Eitherway you go, good luck to you, and as I stated earlier, glad you have your health. Especially at this time of year