Roush Safety of 475 hp Saleen upgrade Tune?

BillG

Jun 9, 2006
Any opinions on the safety for the canned 475 hp Saleen supercharger upgrade tune on a stock motor used for daily driving with 7-8 psi and 13 to 1 air fuel ratios?
The stock motor '05 car dynos 410 rwhp/390rwtq on a Dynojet. Otherwise, it only has a Magnaflow exhaust.
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

you really want 11.5 -11-9 afr on the street not dyno totally different. You can show a bigger dyno number with a lean afr but not actually make that power at the track. I keep my 00 at the 11.5-11.7 afr when i race and it traps 116mph and runs 11.9 get it tuned

Doesn't the 475 kit void the cars warranty, and the 465 setup retain it?
Regardless, i do know that done correctly with the right pulley meter, injectors and with a custom tune, you can make 475rwhp, instead of flywheel.

Yea Joe.

Some say it voids your warranty and some that have had it installed at Saleen in Irvine say they keep their warrany. Either way I have not heard of too many people grenading their motors with the 475 up grade. Guys that intall a 10 psi pulley on the stock bottom end are the guys who are blowing motors regardless of the JDM claims or not.

Here's the kicker. Almost every 475 kit installed that I have seen that is 100% the Saleen kit are really making 465 crank. That's the joke and why the 07 cars are advertised as making 465 and if you buy the car from the dealer then of course you have the new car warranty.

Yea Joe.

Some say it voids your warranty and some that have had it installed at Saleen in Irvine say they keep their warrany. Either way I have not heard of too many people grenading their motors with the 475 up grade. Guys that intall a 10 psi pulley on the stock bottom end are the guys who are blowing motors regardless of the JDM claims or not.

Here's the kicker. Almost every 475 kit installed that I have seen that is 100% the Saleen kit are really making 465 crank. That's the joke and why the 07 cars are advertised as making 465 and if you buy the car from the dealer then of course you have the new car warranty.

I talked at length with Saleen and my dealership and both said they'd honor my warranty if Saleen did the work... so I had Saleen do the work and upgraded to the 475 HP kit (which makes a not too suprising 465 HP).

My AF is right at 11 throughout the curve and I'm happy... and yeah the joke has been part of my sig since getting mine dyno'd :D I think I was the 3rd one on record making 465. The other two people bitched to Saleen and they leaned the cars out to make the advertised 475 HP.

I talked at length with Saleen and my dealership and both said they'd honor my warranty if Saleen did the work... so I had Saleen do the work and upgraded to the 475 HP kit (which makes a not too suprising 465 HP).

My AF is right at 11 throughout the curve and I'm happy... and yeah the joke has been part of my sig since getting mine dyno'd :D I think I was the 3rd one on record making 465. The other two people bitched to Saleen and they leaned the cars out to make the advertised 475 HP.

Saleen did my work too for the same upgrade, but mine reads 14.2 from 2200 rpm to 3000 rpm and then 13 from 3000 to 6000, and they claim that's fine. Wonder why mine's so different from yours?

Saleen did my work too for the same upgrade, but mine reads 14.2 from 2200 rpm to 3000 rpm and then 13 from 3000 to 6000, and they claim that's fine. Wonder why mine's so different from yours?

Yours probably makes 475 HP at the crank. Those are the A/F numbers we've been seeing when the kit makes the advertised 475 power at the crank.

Bottom line is Saleen was not consistent with which canned tune they installed with these kits. I'm personally happy mine is the one with a lower A/F.

I had the Saleen tune removed and had it re-tuned on an SCT Xcal2, and my A/F ratios are now between 11.5-12, versus between 13-14.2 with the Saleen reprogram of my pcm for the 475 hp flywheel hp tune. The hp actually increased 20 rwhp with this safer tune. A GT 500 fuel pump system, Autolite HTO one step colder plugs were also added for safety sake. However, now the car won't start!
Maybe it's too rich a tune now? I think I'm going back to Saleen to have it re-flashed back to the Saleen canned tune, and hope the starting problem goes away.