Saleen Body kit opinions wanted.....

2002YellowGTGuy

Founding Member
Mar 25, 2002
Wisconsin
Guys,

I have a Zinc yellow 02GT and I'm thinking about maybe adding a saleen body kit in the spring. I'd have a professional body shop do the work. How is the quality of the Saleen kit? Is it a large prep job? I'm just trying to plan my budget. The only other kit I would consider is a Roush kit. Anybody with opinions please chime in. Thanks. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I've heard quite a few people complain about Saleen's quality and customer service. :notnice: That would make me buy a Saleen look-alike kit, if they're out there.

The Roush setup is pretty hot too. :drool:

I've heard of the customer service and quality problems as well, but I have not experienced them personally. I have a few Saleen body peices and quality/customer service was top notch.

Despite what people say about Saleens problems, once the kit is on, DAMN it's so beautiful! :drool: :drool:

I've never had any problems with mine, I think the only problems we had were putting it on cause we had to drill all the holes. other than that haven't had one problem. It hasn't cracked or anything so I don't know what kind of problems everyone is having with them. Oh yeah I've had the kit for about two years already.

saleen has good quality, its not their quality that i've seen be the defect, its the prep work that goes into it, if you spend the money on the kit, take it to a PRO to get it prepped and painted, you'll be most happy with the results :nice:

i prefer the roush kits but the saleen does look really good..just make sure you spend the cash and get it done right..even if it costs more..you'll be very glad you did. :nice:

I went with the Saleen kit, ordered it from Haney motorsports....paint and prep work were not to bad, install took a full day and a half.
Kit didnt come with any of the 3M tape that is needed to help hold the stuff on. They also sent me two of the R/H side scoops instead of a Left and Right.
Their customer service sucks, but the kit looks great. :nice:
attachment.php

jadesville said:
saleen has good quality, its not their quality that i've seen be the defect, its the prep work that goes into it...
:lol: I am with Jadesville on this one. But don't overlook that "prep" step, because it is significant. After what I went through with my Saleen wing, I would be afraid to do a whole body kit from a cost point of view. I would suggest that you find a body shop that has Saleen experience (a Ford dealership that sells Saleen should be able to point you to one) to get a warm fuzzy on how much it will cost -- because it won't be cheap. BTW, Saleen has the best looking body kit ... good choice. A way to avoid a bunch of prep would be to get a kit that was already painted, like off a wrecked Saleen. Good luck.

Remember Saleen's motto: "You gotta pay to play..."

$3500? How much of that was service/paint?

You can get a Saleen look-a-like at grounddynamics.com , I had their 97 SaleenClone. It was fiberglass, and never got it installed. But it was considerably cheaper. It's about $800 + Shipping I think.

Which is better the Saleen Urethane, or the Look-A-Like Fiberglass?

The only thing missing on the look-a-like is the trademarked "SALEEN" which is indented on the real thing. I'm sure you could have some black stickers made up if you really needed it (it wouldn't be indented though). Or you could buy just the rear bumper from Saleen and the rest elsewhere.

Good thing about GroundDynamics kits is that the wire-screens are pre-installed. So you don't have to pay the additional $70 that Saleen wants for just the screens.

For those that have these kits. What is the average hangdown on the front end using stock springs when compared to a stock GT bumper (on a new model)? I'm looking at getting one aswell (soon) to go with my Saleen look-a-like rims (they didn't offer the color I wanted), but don't want to risk having the nice front end chewed up by the various potholes/dips we have here in Vegas.

Husker 64 said:
Expect to pay alot, when I got mine done it was close to $3500 when all said and done. Definitely worth it for the look, but then every day I'm kicking myself for not putting that towards a blower.

profile2.jpg

$3500 for just the front bumper and side skirts? :eek: I've talked to people who have spent around that much or less for the entire kit (price of kit + prep + paint + install) :shrug:

i got just S281 wing, and all and all, it was something like 700 bucks. 3500bucks for F/R bumper, and 2 sides does not sound impossible to me. I had REALLY REALLY bad luck with my Saleen wing(quality, fitment and service). My origina; plan was to make S281 clone, but after wing, no way in hell i'll take that chance.