Roush Saleen supercharger Questions

mat82284

Jul 31, 2003
I bought a used supercharger from a a guy that took it off his saleen. I got every parted needed for the install but i do have a few questions. I have the Saleen Series II charger.

1. Does the saleen kit use the stock gt fuel pump or did they change it out?

2. I dont have the saleen ecu and i still have my stock gt one. I also have a predator tuner. How would i go about getting my car safely to a tuner shop with the saleen blower on my gt? Closest shop is about 60miles. Could i just keep it out of boost? He gave me his maf because its calibrated for 30lb injectors, would this allow my car to run ok with the charger till i got it tuned?

3. I am a little confused on some of the vacuum lines and where they go exactly, does someone have a diagram or maybe if possible can you take photos of you engine bay in details so i can use that to finish my install? If you could i would really appreciate it.

• Sponsors (?)

You can safely limp it to your tuner, even if the shop is 60 miles away. You are correct, and you will need to stay out of boost, which is not too difficult. I do not know if Saleen changes the fuel pump, but I sure as hell would. I think SN95 and up guys use the SVT Focus fuel pump, or even swap to a Terminator Cobra fuel tank with dual pump setup. The largest intank pump you can get and an inline T-Rex or Anderson Ford Big Pump are other good options as well. Can't help you with the vacuum question, just make sure that every vacuum line has a good source or is capped, there are tons of engine bay pictures all over the net for a resource. You can probably even find a set of PDF instructions for your Saleen supercharger, if you do some digging. Good Luck!

If you can get it to run then you should be able to limp it to a tuner. The maf/inj calibration is through the ecm not the maf like the older cars. You may have better luck getting a base tune from your tuner to get it to the shop. I would try to see if you can track down the install instructions for the vacuum lines.

See responses in blue below:

I bought a used supercharger from a a guy that took it off his saleen. I got every parted needed for the install but i do have a few questions. I have the Saleen Series II charger.

1. Does the saleen kit use the stock gt fuel pump or did they change it out? On saleen supercharged cars they used the stock GT pump. When I upgraded to a smaller pulley I upgraded to an SVT focus fuel pump. I'd say go ahead and update it right now while you're doing things.

2. I dont have the saleen ecu and i still have my stock gt one. I also have a predator tuner. How would i go about getting my car safely to a tuner shop with the saleen blower on my gt? Closest shop is about 60miles. Could i just keep it out of boost? He gave me his maf because its calibrated for 30lb injectors, would this allow my car to run ok with the charger till i got it tuned? As others have said.....I think you'd be fine to get it to the shop.

3. I am a little confused on some of the vacuum lines and where they go exactly, does someone have a diagram or maybe if possible can you take photos of you engine bay in details so i can use that to finish my install? If you could i would really appreciate it.

Post your email, ill send you the instructions in .pdf, also just buy a kb bap, a little more cost, but way easier to install, and will sustain more hp then a focus pump.

I just installed the saleen supercharger that i bought from this mechanic, and i hearing this terrible sound coming from it. He told me that the issue had been fixed with it but obviously its not. He sounds super legit and i dont want to say hes trying to rip me off. I believe that the shop never fixed it and sent it back to him, since he had no car to test with he would have never known.

This is his original e-mail to me.
"it came off of a 1999 saleen it was by buddys car it was making a thud noise about every 30 seconds low he wanted the stage 3 anyway so he bought the new one i gave him some money and traded labor to install his new one for this one, i was going to buy a mustang with a blown motor and install it, i took the head unit to rex hutchinsen a year ago and they found the front bearing wasnt seated and the retainer ring had popped free causing it to have too much thrust, they re-seated
it and popped the retainer back in, my baddy had just had the smaller pulley installed by some no name shop so they probably did that, come by and look at it the whole kits there id probably take 1600 cash but no less call me and come and see it everything it there injectors, maf hoses i took it off and put it straight in the boxes."

Here is a photo of it complete and an audio of the sound. Does anyone know what the sound is? I noticed stage3 had a head unit for $500 could i just buy that and slap it on? Or would it be cheaper to get it fixed? Does it sound like it needs a rebuild or what he described?

P7220233.JPG

Since the link didn't work I put it on my girl friends youtube account.
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wsJTUOzlCL0"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wsJTUOzlCL0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

I just installed the saleen supercharger that i bought from this mechanic, and i hearing this terrible sound coming from it.

I'd take it back to him and show him what it is. He might be able to diagnose the problem....(or even better he might feel bad and fix it). He didn't exactly represent it accurately since it doesn't sound fixed to me!

While looking at your car I realized that your supercharger looked different than mine. You actually have the series 1 supercharger and not the series 2 supercharger. Series 2 looks slightly different at the front and has a little more HP (only like 15 or so....). Here's a picture of the series 2. Notice the front area has no room for a saleen graphic and how the fins on the top are rounded. The series 2 didn't come out until 2001.

jlt04.jpg

I'd take it back to him and show him what it is. He might be able to diagnose the problem....(or even better he might feel bad and fix it). He didn't exactly represent it accurately since it doesn't sound fixed to me!

While looking at your car I realized that your supercharger looked different than mine. You actually have the series 1 supercharger and not the series 2 supercharger. Series 2 looks slightly different at the front and has a little more HP (only like 15 or so....). Here's a picture of the series 2. Notice the front area has no room for a saleen graphic and how the fins on the top are rounded. The series 2 didn't come out until 2001.

Thanks I talked to him and he said he try and get it fixed at the shop that supposably fixed it. As for the series I supercharger, I read online that if the blower has its own oil supply that its a series II and the series one worked with your stock oil. Is this true? If it is, could the series I been rebuilt into a series II?

If it hasnt already, should i a series II and sell this as a core? Where is the cheapest place to buy a supercharger head unit?

Quick update:

We took the supercharger apart and it looks good, The little plastic piece that connects to the gears broke off, and the little studs that go from the pully to the gears were pushed in to far. one actually broke off and thats what that sound is. The guy works for ford so he's going to try to contact some guys to see if anywhere near by can fix it, if not he's going to ship it out to be repaired for me. Ill post and updated video when complete and a dyno when i get it tuned.

that goes beyond my area of expertise! =) I don't know all the details between the series 1 and series 2 besides the HP difference and the difference in appearance. I do know that the series II has its own oil supply....but the series I might have had the same thing too....not sure.

Im curious why i cant find anything on this. Has no one ever tried? I was wondering if its possible to stick a m112 cobra supercharger on the saleen manifold to replace the m90? That or build an adapter plate to allow one to go on. Those would push our engines much better. Has anyone done this?