Scored an aluminum driveshaft...have ?'s

Imyourzero

Learned that lesson as a horny teenager with lots
Founding Member
Mar 10, 2002
Hoonose, U.S.A. Posts: 39,051
Found a used aluminum driveshaft in excellent condition...there was no way I was going to pay the ridiculous new price of $250.

The thing looks almost brand new but it didn't come with the bolts like it would if you ordered it from Summit...where can I find new driveshaft bolts? I was told it was probably best to replace them.

Where's the best place to get a d/s safety loop? I want to run one for peace of mind.

And what do I need to do to prevent the d/s from rubbing against the e-brake bracket? Apparently this happens to LOTS of people, and after seeing the pics of that driveshaft that got cut in half I definitely want to keep this thing from rubbing on anything!

Thanks for any help...

• Sponsors (?)

Silver95Stint said:
250 dollas, That is too much. I have seen them advertised for no more than 150.

The price of aluminum has recently gone up, and so has the cost of driveshafts. Check a few online stores and I promise you won't find any at the old price; if you do I guarantee they aren't in stock and are on backorder.

slvrbullit302 said:
I just reused my old bolts, bought mine new and it didnt have any new bolts with it.

Oh OK.

I found a DS safely loop from Summit...is the FRPP one good enough or are there better choices? They sell at least a couple different ones...

And what about the driveshaft rubbing on the e-brake cable bracket? It doesn't happen to everyone, but if the problem should arise, what's the best way to remedy it?

http://www.metco-inc.com/dsloopsPR.shtml I've read that metco d/s safety loops are one of the best.
LoopPR.jpg

I too would just reuse the stock DS bolts. If you think yours are shot, they wouldn't be holding the stock one on correctly, right? If you just wanna make sure, go to any DS shop, or transmission place and bring one of the stockers to match up. No prob!

The driveshaft being ground by the E-brake bracket is a problem on some lowered cars. I have heard that all you have to do is clearance the bracket a little, by grinding the edge off it. I have not had to do it myself, so I cant tell ya for sure.

The prices of aluminum have definitely gone up. True, there are still a few places where you can get them at the old price, but like the other guys said - their prices will probably go up to be par with everyone elses. :bang:

Those METCO DS loops are nice! The guage of steel is the important consideration here. Just compare em!

My car is not lowered and it rubbed. The driveshaft hits on the bracket edge. I ground alot of the bracket off untill the point I felt that the parking brake would be damaged if I took any more off. Then the thing still rubbed if I got on it real hard. So I had to buy an adjustable pinion snubber from MAC $59 and that cured my problem and helped me hook a lot better as well. Put it on with the old bolts and give it a try you may not have any problems.

i'm chiming in a little late, but i just ordered mine from summit and it was $159 and is in back order until 7/2. no big deal, i'd rather wait than pay an extra $100. i wanted to know if i should get a new yoke, and if so, can you recommend some?
thanx