Scratches in Clearcoat.

My wife scraped her New Infinity QX56 into the Garage and got white paint on the front bumper. Instead of informing me, she took it to a detail shop and the detailer wet sanded the bumper with what appears to have been 600-800 grit sand paper. The clear coat took a beating. The good news is the detailer got rid of the white paint on the bumper, the bad news is he the clear coat looks really dull where he sanded the bumper. Is there anything that I can do to git rid of the dull finish from the sand paper?

• Sponsors (?)

Meguiar's has a product called ScratchX that might help. It is easy to use by hand and I have used it on wetsanding haze with great success in the past.

You should shoot the detail shop that used sand paper to remove paint rubbing. Haven't they ever heard of mineral spirits or laquer thinner? That is what should have been used. It would have taken the swapped paint right off and left your car perfectly fine. You really should just take the car back and have them fix their mistake with the haze. Then again... they don't seem to know what they are doing very well, so I'd just stick to giving the ScratchX a try. You can find it just about anywhere you find detailing products at.

OCDetails said:
Meguiar's has a product called ScratchX that might help. It is easy to use by hand and I have used it on wetsanding haze with great success in the past.

You should shoot the detail shop that used sand paper to remove paint rubbing. Haven't they ever heard of mineral spirits or laquer thinner? That is what should have been used. It would have taken the swapped paint right off and left your car perfectly fine. You really should just take the car back and have them fix their mistake with the haze. Then again... they don't seem to know what they are doing very well, so I'd just stick to giving the ScratchX a try. You can find it just about anywhere you find detailing products at.

Sorry about the late reply. I will give ScratchX a try. I was more pissed at my wife for trying to hide the scratch from me than I was at the detail shop that farked up the bumper.

Thanks for the suggestion.