Seat Covers, How difficult?

badazz68stang

Mar 28, 2006
I was wondering how hard the covers will be to install on my 68 coupe. The front two buckets and the rear bench. I got it quoted at 100 bucks a seat, so 400 total. Im not payin this much so i wanted to know how hard it would be w/ the proper tools, (pliers and hog rings) to do. thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Pick up a hog ring kit and have at 'er. I did the back seat in less than an hour and the fronts were a few hours each, at most. 100 bucks a seat should only come to 300 bucks total, not 400, as the rear is really only one seat when it comes right down to it. But still, 300-400 for a days work from a pro doesn't seem to out to lunch.

Not too hard, just some fighting invloved to get the vynal over the edges of the seats. They say lay them in the sun to loosen them up. It can be done quite easily though (not for $400 IMO). Are you putting new foam on (seat buns?)? The rear foam is not available. You'll have to go to a craft place to buy foam, It comes in different sizes (thickness) and densities. I did mine and my brothers. Piece of cake. IT does get frustrating at times

You buy a bag of hog rings and pliers for 10-12 bucks. There will be 10 times the number of rings you need. Don't worry about running out.

Some contact cement and foam will fill any voids. You can freeze the foam and cut it with an electric knife to get any shapes you may need.

I highly recommend spending the money to get new foam for the front seats. I just recovered mine and the difference is amazing between the original foam and the new ones. I stripped mine to the bare frames and installed new burlap and foam. They are so much more firm. It's the only way to go. You won't be sorry.

another tip: wrap the foam edges in plastic sheet or garbage bags...its very slippery and helps the cover go right on.

Leave a corner of the plastic exposed, and once the cover's on, pull the plastic out.