Security?

joeythesaint

Feb 9, 2003
Seattle
Convinced that car alarms don't do crap in my neighborhood -- they go off all night around here -- I have installed the following mods. Opinions welcome. Keep in mind there's a big-@ss hole in my hood with shiny stuff sticking out.

1.) Locking hood pins, the more expensive carbon-fiber ones with hardened stainless locking hardware, not the cheapos.
2.) Steel cage under hood and through blower scoop hole, tight over scoop. (Limits movement of scoop and extends under hood 1' to each side; with it in place, you can't lift the Hilborn over the air cleaners.)
3.) One-way screws under Hilborn -- removal tool is in my toolbox at work and a second one at home.
4.) Combination of 2, snake-eye bolts and 2, pin-centered allen-head bolts holding down each carb. Again, removal tools are in my toolbox at work and a second of each at home.
5.) Battery cut-off switch with removable key under hood
6.) Removable faceplate CD player
7.) Dummy alarm flashing LED on center console, wired to a 9V battery.

Short of someone backing up a truck and hauling it off, where am I vulnerable? I'll be parking it in a well-lit parking lot under our bedroom window at night, but I also play in a blues band on the weekends and park it outside clubs.

• Sponsors (?)

Realistically, I've got just over $2K in this car, so if it gets stolen or messed up it's a PITA and a bummer but little more. Mainly, I don't want someone walking off with the top end of my engine while I'm onstage. :p I figure -- I hope -- that I can just make it so damned inconvenient for someone to get at the shiny parts that they won't risk attracting the attention. It might look kind of funny to be hacksawing the hood cage outside a club, or at 3 A.M. -- at least, downtown.

I would be more worried about a punk tossing crud in the intake.

Far as keeping it secure about the only thing you can do is park it backt o the wall to make it more difficult for a tow truck. If a wheel lift Hooker can get to your rear tires it's gone.

Thunder, we have more firepower per capita in our condo than the Branch Davidian. Wifey and I both hunt -- bow, rifle, & shotgun. My beautiful bride is the queen of double-lung shots, and our bedside piece is my bear / cougar sidearm -- a 2" Charter Arms .44 Special with Glasers. But I digress.

I Bad II, we can't move. The housing market is nuts, here. We couldn't even qualify for the place we're living in, now, if we bought it tomorrow. We just laid the septic for a weekend home on a remote peninsula on Puget Sound, though; in 24-30 months the II will have a nice safe garage with an attached shop.

And Wart, the intake is not open; there's a mesh screen and then two 6" air cleaners inside.

Good about the wall and the tow truck, though. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Keep 'em coming.

Make sure you have comprehensive insurance with as low of a deductable as possible. List all of the extras that you may have that might not otherwise be covered, and have your agent explain the "what if's".

You might even consider raising the deductable on the other coverages to offset the total premium cost.

It may not be prevention for someone messing with your car, but it should give you peace of mind.

joeythesaint said:
Thunder, we have more firepower per capita in our condo than the Branch Davidian. Wifey and I both hunt -- bow, rifle, & shotgun. My beautiful bride is the queen of double-lung shots, and our bedside piece is my bear / cougar sidearm -- a 2" Charter Arms .44 Special with Glasers. But I digress.

Ok Barnaby Jones, but I wouldn't be popping at anyone at any distance with a snub, I might hit my car. ;}

About your wife? Cool.

And Wart, the intake is not open; there's a mesh screen and then two 6" air cleaners inside.

Not to belabor a point, the mesh isn't going to do much to stop a fist full of parking lot dust. And filters? I'm the guy who, when going through a dust cloud, tends to slap the trans to neutural and idle and coast. I crindge when I HAVE TO use power behind a dust maker.

I would have a hood made with a chain 'draw string' and light lock. Won't stop anyone determined, nothing will, but it will indicate if someones been screwing with it.

Good about the wall and the tow truck, though. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Keep 'em coming.

Walls, lamp posts work too. About the perephery of the lot where the Hooker would have to squeeze between your II and a building or drive on the grass, point being just to make it more difficult.

Your II won't be the target of a Pro. Someone who makes their living avoiding Grand Theft Auto isn't going to spend time or take the risk on something so distinctive or low profit. That is unless your car does something to trip the Pros trigger then it's gone.

I would say you have more to worry from the Punk, someone who will try to steal it and then vandalize it when theft is beyond their abilities.

You could always wire in a switch, time delay and Taser. If the ignition goes active without disarming about a minute or so later ...... ZAP!

On a more serious note, I'm slightly prone to a touch of paranoia myself, I would wire in a remote shut down. If you get jacked you can let them get -so far away- then kill the engine.

{edit}You could also chain and lock the axle to a lamp post.

76_Cobra_II said:
You can get an alram that pages you everytime someone hits it or opens one of the doors or hood. They also have the starter kill built into them.

Just hope I don't park next to you and clean the pipes before shut down.