Sell my TF Twisted Wedge heads for AFR165s? where should i sell?

dderek

Feb 29, 2004
well.. my car is all apart. im going to replace my headgaskets soon. so im either going to have a machine shop clean up my twisted wedge heads... which will probably cost a bit.

or i was thinking. if the AFR165s are that much better.. i could sell my TW heads and pay a little bit extra for a brand new set of heads :nice:

now if i do sell them... where should i try it at? my parts guy said i could try racingjunk.com, he sells stuff there sometimes. and buys stuff off there. or i was thinking ebay maybe? or possibly stangnet? anybody interested in my heads? they dont have all that much milage on them. i havent pulled them yet.. id take all the pictures you want. they may need to be milled a tiny bit. i dont even know yet.

anyways. input and comments appreciated.

how does everyone like their AFRs?

thanks
derek

• Sponsors (?)

dderek said:
well.. my car is all apart. im going to replace my headgaskets soon. so im either going to have a machine shop clean up my twisted wedge heads... which will probably cost a bit.

or i was thinking. if the AFR165s are that much better.. i could sell my TW heads and pay a little bit extra for a brand new set of heads :nice:

now if i do sell them... where should i try it at? my parts guy said i could try racingjunk.com, he sells stuff there sometimes. and buys stuff off there. or i was thinking ebay maybe? or possibly stangnet? anybody interested in my heads? they dont have all that much milage on them. i havent pulled them yet.. id take all the pictures you want. they may need to be milled a tiny bit. i dont even know yet.

anyways. input and comments appreciated.

how does everyone like their AFRs?

thanks
derek

I would sell them on ebay...

Always had good luck selling and buying parts off ebay.

the thing with AFR's is that they come fully ported. so whatever they flow out of the box is all they're gonna do, im pretty sure you cant open them up any more than they already are. the TW's give you some room to grow so I would stick with em and get them ported.

5LiterFever said:
the thing with AFR's is that they come fully ported. so whatever they flow out of the box is all they're gonna do, im pretty sure you cant open them up any more than they already are. the TW's give you some room to grow so I would stick with em and get them ported.

I agree. the afrs are already cnc ported. you may be able to improve on them a little but the TW could be ported and they would outperform the afrs.

out of the box, the afrs outflow the TWS, but not by a whole lot. I don't think you'd notice much difference. do some research and you'll see.

honestly, you'd make more hp with you're TW and a better intake (edelbrock or trickflow, for example) than AFRs w/ your current intake.

Definatly keep the TW heads. Afr heads are NOT maxed out just because their cnc ported already. Thats an internet myth that needs to die from inexperienced internet racers.

Anyway, looking at your sig, porting wont do much for you with that junk b303 cam and small gt40 intake. Only thing i'd so since the heads are off, is mill them and change the seals. Unless your willing to change your whole combo..

Definatly keep the TW heads. Afr heads are NOT maxed out just because their cnc ported already. Thats an internet myth that needs to die from inexperienced internet racers.

Anyway, looking at your sig, porting wont do much for you with that junk b303 cam and small gt40 intake. Only thing i'd so since the heads are off, is mill them and change the seals. Unless your willing to change your whole combo..

I ran almost the same combo except I had shorties and a ported lower GT40 and that was a blast to drive. First you need to port the lower intake, send it to Tmoss and have him do it then look at another cam. Not sure what you want from car but if it's a mostly street car then look at something like Comp XE270HR-12 218/224 112LSA...that'll wake the car up nice.

I also don't see any gears if you do not have atleast 3.73s then this should be the first thing to do!

Grn92LX said:
You got that right. A good friend of mine is assembling a 331 stroker, and went with the AFR 185's because they "come CNC ported" out of the box...the machinist looked at them, and essentially said that they were indeed nice heads, but still had plenty of room for impovement, and he ended up spending another $400 or so getting the ported and polished. So, $1350 for the heads, another $400 for the p and p work, and you have $1750. He could have easily dropped a grand for a set of TW's, spent the same $400 on some port and polish work, and had identical or at least similar flow numbers, and been $350 ahead, which is what his custom cam cost.

I do NOT say this to bash the AFR heads at all...they are a great bang for the buck, especially considering what they will do right out of the box, but when you start putting some money and machine work to them, there are certainly other options that are just as good, if not better for less money.

Sir Hacksalot

Absolutely. AFR makes some of the best heads out there, both for the money and for the numbers. If you were trying to decide which to buy to replace your stockers, I'd say go AFR. However, you already have the TW's. They are a fantastic head. Unless there is something wrong with them, it would be stupid to go to the trouble of changing to AFR's- unless you are hung up on the brand and just have to have them. It's going to cost you more in the long run, and not give enough back to justify going to the trouble. You could spend the difference better on something else, like a real cam. Furthermore, 185's would be useless on your engine, it would make more power with the 165's, which aren't really any better than TW's for the money.