service engine soon light came on

Stalwart

Mar 12, 2004
Can anyone let me know if the SES light comes on when you near 50,000km in a mustang? I would assume as a hint to go get your scheduled maintenance done :). It's a 2002 V6.

I need to bring it in anyways to get a power-steering leak fixed and it's under warranty so no big deal, but I'd like to know what I'm in for.

Sorry, I don't seem to have my car's manual or I'd look there.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Unfortunately no, it's not supposed to come on. Something's broken.

If you're at 50k on a 2002, you're still under warranty. Could be anything, but the dealer should take care of it.

DanM said:
Unfortunately no, it's not supposed to come on. Something's broken.

If you're at 50k on a 2002, you're still under warranty. Could be anything, but the dealer should take care of it.

OK, so mustangs don't pop up a service engine soon light for scheduled maintenance then?

Some new cars do, that's why I was wondering.

Guess I take it in on monday, thanks.

Stalwart said:
OK, so mustangs don't pop up a service engine soon light for scheduled maintenance then?

Some new cars do, that's why I was wondering.

Guess I take it in on monday, thanks.
No prob. :)

No, Mustangs don't.

New cars have a separate light. A little 'maintenance' lamp or something. They won't ever use the same light that indicates an engine condition (like a Check Engine Light, Service Engine Soon, whatever you want to call it) to indicate maintenance. They're very different things.

Let us know what Ford says it is. :)

50k = no warranty regardless of what yera it is.... 3 years OR 36k miles so you have no warranty, you can go to autozone and get teh code read for free. Mine came on with 20k on the car adn it was a little sensor, took 5 min to fix its probably a sensor gone bad but you should definatly check it out asap.

SpectorV said:
50k = no warranty regardless of what yera it is.... 3 years OR 36k miles so you have no warranty, you can go to autozone and get teh code read for free. Mine came on with 20k on the car adn it was a little sensor, took 5 min to fix its probably a sensor gone bad but you should definatly check it out asap.
He said 50,000 KILOMETERS. Canadian, eh? ;) Warranty is to 60000kms in Canada.

i have an 02 also my light came on at 3,000 miles. they said it had to do with my 0.2 sencer. it was under warrenty so it was done for free. if you dont have a warrenty i would check that. a brand new one will cost about $25 at auto zone and its an easy install.

Yeah, I'm in Canada. 60,000km bumper to bumper and 100,000km powertrain.

If it turns out to be something serious (I doubt it, it didn't start driving rough or anything when the light came on) maybe I'll invest in an extended warranty :).

I just had my Service Engine light pop on recently (99 with 53,000 miles).

It was just the EGR valve hose, nothing major. Before it went to the mechanic I looked into it, and when that light comes on, its an emissions sensor sending an error, so the problem most likely isn't major / damaging.

You should still get it checked out soon though :)

Thordic said:
Before it went to the mechanic I looked into it, and when that light comes on, its an emissions sensor sending an error, so the problem most likely isn't major / damaging.

This is not quite true. The SES is not an 'emissions light'. It's used to indicate mechanical malfunctions as well (ones that could potentially be damaging to your engine if not dealt with), as well as emissions-related issues.

If you haven't noticed a severe change in the car's behavior, then it's likely not a 'severe' and imminent problem. However a SES could indicate something like a vac.leak/lean condition, knock, or something else that's potentially very damaging if ignored.

It's NOT just an emissions light that doesn't really matter. 9 times out of 10 it's just an emissions system, but do you want to take that risk? Get it checked.

Hrm, really? I know in most cars its a general-purpose "something ain't quite right with your engine" light, but in the mustang manual it specifically mentions emissions as what sets off the light.

Oh well, I got mine fixed anyway, but good to know for the future.

Stalwart said:
Yeah, I'm in Canada. 60,000km bumper to bumper and 100,000km powertrain.

If it turns out to be something serious (I doubt it, it didn't start driving rough or anything when the light came on) maybe I'll invest in an extended warranty :).

Just an opinion, but save your cash Ford Canada will not, and does not back up the warrenty.