SES light! - got codes read.....

HadASixtyEight

Feb 17, 2004
PHX, AZ
My wife's check engine light went on in her 99 6 cyl with 75K miles.... I was like "how long since you changed the oil etc", she is like "I don't know"...

I said, "what do you mean you don't know..... like 4000 miles, 5000, 6000....?"

She says, ummm maybe 6-7000? I don't know... I am like "What?- no wonder the light came on...."(and thinking yeah- probably more like 7-8000, and who knows what else needs to be done....)

Anyway I figure it would be a safe bet to do all maintenence on it, oil, plugs, plug wires, trans fluid, oil filter, air filter etc cause I don't know what she has had done and when....

The light is still on though- so now I figure I have to get the codes read....

Got my codes read at autozone.... here is what they were....

P0351-Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction

P0303-Cylinder 3 misfire detected

P0304-Cylinder 4 misfire detected

NOTE: I did NOT reset the light before getting it read (I changed plugs, plug wires, oil, trans fluid, filters etc AFTER the light came on but BEFORE getting the codes - btw I did not do the maitinence as a kneejerk- but because my wife takes godawful care of her ride I am just finding out)

So I suppose I should reset it tonight, and then get it read again if/when the light comes back on.....?

I would also think that the Ignition Coil Circuit Malfunction could be causing the other codes to occur?

So how should I attack this if the light comes back on? (which I assume it will considering it is still running a little rough, BTW it runs real rough when I start it... but smoothes out a lot after goosing it.... but still rougher than it should be.... this is the same as before I did plugs, wires, etc)

Thanks!

BTW-Some background on me - had a 68 fastback as my fun car up till just about a year ago- had to sell it unfortunately.... luckily my wife has the 99- though it is not as cool as the 68, it at least is a stang....
I have changed thousands, okay maybe hundreds of plugs in my life and have done most of the minor work on the carberated cars I have had, this is my first experience into learning how to fix modern electronic cars outside regular maitenence... I figure it is about time I step into modern time....

• Sponsors (?)

thanks LsRedy2Kstang.... I think yeah it is all going to start from the coil and that could be (or hopefully is) messing up the rest....

It is not really hesitating rather it seems it is running rougher than normal (almost unevenly- can feel a definite rhythmic shake when you turn it on... like I said you give it a little and it smoothes out about 80%, but you can tell it is still there) It might have lost some power, but like I said it does not seem so much it is running bad etc, as it is running unevenly/rough

If I take out the coil pack can I get it checked somewhere?

I think Travis pegged it. It sound sjust like what my coil pack did when it went to poop. In fact, if memory serves me well, my #3 & 4 cyl were the misfiring cyl based on the codes I was getting. Swapped coil packs and voila. :nice:

atlblue2000 - thanks, it looks like we may be on to something....!

I assume the coil pack is the black box with the six holes and the plug (where the plug wires come out of....)

how quick is this to pull out/put in (anything I have to be careful for?) can I take the old one into autozone and have them check it to be sure that was it.....?

I have checked some prices around here...

Autozone has a Wells for 63.97
PepBoys has a BWD for 69.99
Checker has a Niehoff for 87.99
Cheker also has a GP Sorensen for 132.99

can I just pick the cheapest- or any of these are bad?

I was really afraid of this SES light/code thing before, but now I am seeing how awesome modern technology can be!

HadASixtyEight said:
Somone pointed me to this link...

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/dtc_powertrain_1.htm

Here are the causes....

* Open or short in Ignition START/RUN circuit
* Open coil driver circuit in harness
* Coil driver circuit shorted to ground
* Damaged coil
* Damaged PCM
* Coil driver circuit shorted to PWR

So I guess if it is not the coil pack I got to check the wiring after that....

Yes, i would change the coil pak first, just a few bolts and that is all. It is easy and if you see an improvement then there is your problem.

Just wanted to say thanks to LsRedy2Kstang and atlblue2000 for the help... all is good now, and it was the coil pack.....

Thanks again, and BTW this is an awesome forum.... lots good things to read and giving me lots of ideas now that all is back in working order....