Shaker 500...

gotgasracing

Jul 15, 2005
i wanna know how the shaker stereo system works on the mustang, or is it as crapy as past mustangs, i ordered an 06 mustang, and wanted to know about the stereo so i can start buying aftermarket speakers and stuff so when my stang arrives i can have it all hooked up right away....

• Sponsors (?)

theres several threads about the shaker 500/1000. the 500 sounds good for factory. i have no desire to upgrade at this time. maybe in a few years, but the 500 sounds good enough for me. it is WAY BETTER than the Mach 460 systems of years past.

stanmckinney said:
Yes, but there are many issues including skipping, display showing bad cds, etc. Ford doesn't have all the problems solved.
My build date 6/24/05 GT with Shaker 500, has worked flawlessly for 2200 miles now......Using both Home burned CD's and factory ones. Thanks to Stangnet.. I’ve been on the look out for problems.. But none (with the shaker) have shown up yet.

The systems sounds good to me… But I’m no expert or even close.

I had the MACH 1 with the Mach 460 sound. Pulled it for complete aftermarket setup.
The Shaker 500 sounds pretty good for stock. The highs are clear, for stock. Although it has "subs" in the doors, they are closer to mids than subs. A good amp and sub in the trunk would really fill out the audio range. A couple of companies are now building drop on sub enclosures.
For me, for now the stock unit os good enough. And, knock on wood, I have not had any trouble with the Shaker 500.

It sounds pretty good. You should go to your dealer and listen to it for your self before you decide. The 6 CD changer is real handy. It however does not have much adjustability as far as low mid and highs go. it depends on how much of an audiophile you are.

I agree that the sound is decent. But the problems are unacceptable. Also, I'm very disappointed that an all-new car does not have provision for a satellite radio tuner. Older vehicles are satellite ready. Our Mustangs should have been too. A direct hook-up for an ipod would have also been great. Ford should be on the cutting edge of technology, not playing catch up.

The shaker500 has worked pretty good. I have had no problems so far. I have the same gripe as stanmckinney though, the dang thing has no ipod input port. :damnit:

Judging from what I've read in this forum over the past 9 months, the answer to this is "It depends." The quality of these units must not be consistent, based on user experience. I have a Shaker 500 in an early GT (September build), and I have had no problems whatsoever. I think that the sound quality is excellent, and it has worked flawlessly with every type of media. My two gripes:

1. CDs load and unload very slowly.
2. No auxiliary input.

Otherwise, I've been very happy with it.

Hi guys....I read the thread and only one post talk about skipping, bad disk error, reseting of the Shaker 500. I really like the sound system overall. It sounds good and have a fair power but mine always skips and give bad disk error on new legit disk. Is there anything to do?
Other question...is it possible to upgrade to Shaker 1000 by the dealer? I'd like to own those two 12" in the trunk....
Thanks!

The Shaker Sux

I'm on my 3rd replacement Shaker 1000, and this one crapped out on me about 5 days ago - I can't believe it. So now I'm riding around with no cd player, no radio because the fuse has been pulled. The fuse was pulled because the CD player would not accept or eject Cd's, and would continously shuffle through Cd's even when the radio was on. "CD Error" message displayed, and I had no backlighting (yes, I know about the TSB's!). The dealer has called Ford engineering, and today I was told by the dealer service manager that Ford engineering "acknowledges that there is a problem with the radios". Great - how about a recall!!!!? :bang:

As far as I'm concerned, the radio is a pile of crap! If I were u I'd get the base unit and upgrade it yourself. Horrible reflection on Ford Quality (along with other numerous problems :damnit: This was my first ever mustang, might be my last... In fairness though I realize that Delphi manufactures the radio.

Sorry to sound harsh, but just speaking from experience! There are many others who have skipping and bad disc reject errors as well...

I have an '06 with it's now 5th Shaker 500 in it. The problems I have had range from annoying to making it usless. The only upside is that the dealership finally acknowledged that "yes, there is a factory problem at Dephi." :bang:

I tossed my shaker 500 for a double-din Alpine. Just an FYI, if you're going aftermarket and keeping the shaker 500 amp/sub, make sure to get a voltage regulator. Most aftermarket radios have a 12v amp turn-on lead, but the stock amp turn-on lead is 5v. Get a nasty little pop every time you turn on the vehicle without the voltage regulator.

:cheers:
Justin.

I also installed an Alpine. It has ipod controls and accepts a satellite radio without a modulator. The sound is much better than the Shaker 500 and it costs less too. (Check the list price on a Shaker 500. You will be shocked.)

jjaguda said:
I had the MACH 1 with the Mach 460 sound. Pulled it for complete aftermarket setup.
The Shaker 500 sounds pretty good for stock. The highs are clear, for stock. Although it has "subs" in the doors, they are closer to mids than subs. A good amp and sub in the trunk would really fill out the audio range. A couple of companies are now building drop on sub enclosures.
For me, for now the stock unit os good enough. And, knock on wood, I have not had any trouble with the Shaker 500.
And where might I find these enclosures?

What's the model # on the Alpine units?

How many amplifiers are used in the Shaker 500 System? I recently spent a few hundred dollars replacing Mach460 amps in my 1994 GT, the front amplifier is a nightmare to replace - probably wont because my 2005 is due to arrive in the next couple of days. I now have 3-good amplifiers for the Mach460, probably put them on eBay.

scout

I have one blown speaker on my Shaker 500, but other than that I've had no issues. I'm pretty happy with the system overall for being stock. Hopefully the dealer will replace my blown speaker next time I take the car in.....