Shift points after cams

WhiteDevil69

Sep 15, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Whats up, I just finished paying off my stupid lawyer for a "exhibition of accelleration" ticket I get a month or so ago. The cop gave me a ticket for this all based on sound, guy didn't see me pull off the line (or else he wouldn't have given the ticket) and assumed that I was racing cuz my car is soo friggin loud. Anyways, so now that this is all taken care of I will be ordering a set of custom ground cams from Modular Ford Powerhouse here in a week or so and was trying to understand marking shift points. I will be getting a dyno so I know it will be easier after I have that, but what do you look for when determining where to shift. I know its around 5500ish when basicly stock, but since my graph will be basicly the same as anyone with comp 270's or vt stage II's i thought you guys might know now. When I look at this graph down below I wouldn't have a clue where to shift. Anyone know how to pick the best spot to shift? :shrug: http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19084

• Sponsors (?)

I'm currently shifting ~6200RPM because my tuner set it for 6250. I am going to have it raised this spring because the car is still pulling hard to that point. I would like to shift at 6400-6500rpm. Otherwise, it falls too far below the sweet-spot of the power band like its doing now. Add that to my sub-par 3.73 gearing, and you end up with a car like mine that is under-achieving.

nickthegenius said:
I'm currently shifting ~6200RPM because my tuner set it for 6250. I am going to have it raised this spring because the car is still pulling hard to that point. I would like to shift at 6500rpm.
So its basicly a must to get a tune of some kind after the cams then. Otherwise I would be pushing it to redline at that point. Is it mainly the tourqe curve your looking at when deciding the most efficient place to shift? And why do you say sub-par 3.73's are you ever going P/A or just stickin N/A?

You'll need a tune for the shift points and to adjust the A/F, etc. My car ran poorly after I installed the cams (Comp 270s). I had the Steeda reflash at the time and the tuner said it wasn't really that far off on most things, but was wanting to run way too lean.