shift points at the track

• Sponsors (?)

You should shift the same time the whole time down the track. No matter what gear you are in, you want to make the most horsepower through the engine, not the trans. From what I know, I have heard it is best to shift at 10% past your peak power, which on a stock mustang is aroung 5000, so shift around 5500. What you should do is figure out where your rpms drop to everytime you shift and look at a dyno print out. Try to keep in your peak power band for as long as possible, that is how you will get your best times. but then again, that is just my 2 cents...

HardcoreSTANG13 said:
You should shift the same time the whole time down the track. No matter what gear you are in, you want to make the most horsepower through the engine, not the trans. From what I know, I have heard it is best to shift at 10% past your peak power, which on a stock mustang is aroung 5000, so shift around 5500. What you should do is figure out where your rpms drop to everytime you shift and look at a dyno print out. Try to keep in your peak power band for as long as possible, that is how you will get your best times. but then again, that is just my 2 cents...

that seams right, but if you dont have a dyno printout, just practice. from what i read and experiance most people short shift first a little and wind out 2nd and 3rd.