Shifting

03silverstang

Jun 2, 2004
Just wondering when looking to race someone when should you be shifting? Do you gas it in 1st and let it go to 3k RPMs or do u only let it go to 2k RPms and then shift and do the same throughout the rest. Any input would be appreciated. :hail2:

Thanks

2003 Silver V6 mustang 5 spd

• Sponsors (?)

I havent really done much myself... but i think take off would be around 2500 rpm... and i would guess you want to shift each other gear to the point that you would end up around 2500-3000 rpm

If you're racing, at the track of course, you should be shifting at or below redline. I usually just watch the shift light, which is around 5500 rpms in my car......right at 11 # of boost.

I do my daily driving shifting at 2500 rpms. You must be driving like a grandma or something.

This is something that we really can't tell you since each mods a person does may change the power band on there car. There is also sometimes differences in cars from the factory. Now back in my days with the V6 mustang... I would shift at 5500 rpms. The best thing for you to do is get your car out and nail it starting in first gear and remember what rpms it stops pulling and then shift to second and so on. Then subtract 500 rpms from the point it stoped pulling on you through the gears. Like if your car stoped pulling good at 5500 rpms, then you shift at 5k rpms. This is a vague idea on it :nice:

Now around town driving I would shift at 2500-3000 but that is just me ;)

yeah i usually shift at 3000. I dont have a shift light in my car i just go by the sound sometimes and i find it if i dont push the clutch all the way down i get a better boost. thanks for your help everyone. :hail2:

2500 is the best, i have no problem shifting by 2.5-3 grand and I have gears, you should REALLY have no problem shifting at 2500, i seem to get my best gas milage around there, at least shift by 2800, for racing 5250 (5500 = peak power on 01 up) stock tach just sucks so when you are that high you are a little off on the reading.

If you're worried about actions that may bite you in the butt later on, than you should drive it like its your moms car :D I'm not trying to be a smart butt about it but even shifting just under the red line will cause more wear on the motor than normal shifting over time. If you look at most of your HotRods that has seen there fair share of racing and you will see they blow a little smoke when cruzing down the road. The best thing you could do if your car is stock would probly shift at 5500 rpms but only racing ;) I could get V6 (autos) stangs from 99-03 to scratch a few gears on a good day shifting at 5500rpms. As for daily driving :scratch: probly 1500-2000 rpms. Now don't quote me on the daily I haven't drove my stick car in a few months and I've only had the car two months before I parked :(

there is more to the limit of your motor to be safe then what a little red line/bar says on your tach.... the stock springs are good to 6 grand~ thats when the car cuts fuel and is your rev limiter, rev when you are trying to go as fast as it can to your PEAK HP NOT until the car cuts off lol dont do it every day and you will be fine, most of the time if i am just getting on it i shift at around 4 grand or half way to 5 i dont go all the way.