shock tower surgery...

project.65

Sep 18, 2007
I have a '65 and as all of you know, getting a 351w in that engine bay is a tight squeeze. I was wondering how hard is it to notch the shock towers. I tried to look for (pics.) on steps on how to do it, but didnt have any luck. I do have a lincoln mig welder wich i will be starting to start practicing how to use. I also have grinder, and all those fun power tools I think I will need.

• Sponsors (?)

It's not hard to do, but you'll need new steel to replace the old. You'll also need to bend the new to fit. I did the towers in my 77 Comet recently, cut em back 2". They curve back shallower at the top to allow room for the firewall brace bolts. I cut the bottom about an inch above the upper "A" arm bolts.

I was wondering, would it be a bad idea to cut at an angle towards the wheels to gain a 3" clearance, instead of cutting straight down like the article said?:shrug:

Too much of a cut might mean that you would be against the coil spring. You need to allow some room for it if you want to continue to use the original suspension.

Chances are, you won't need that much clearance anyhow unless you plan go to a motor wider than the 351w. Although I would like to have a little more side clearance with my 393, I really don't have any problems pulling plugs or doing other work, such as adjusting the valves.

I was wondering, would it be a bad idea to cut at an angle towards the wheels to gain a 3" clearance, instead of cutting straight down like the article said?:shrug:

I would make the first cut straight down and then put a template on it to check and see if it were possible to cut more off. If you then felt like you needed to cut more off you would then know where you could safely stop. I'm thinking like dennis112 that the 2" would be plenty of room.

Just a thought, but wouldn't cutting it on an angle create a stronger tower?
If you are using coil overs, more space becomes available, with strutts even more. RSS makes a shock tower notching kit, but they will not sell it unless you buy there struts. They have install photos if you are interested.

I know a guy who has '67 shock towers in his '65. It's more work, but the end result is very clean. I've been thinking of doing that same mod to my own '65... I want more space under the hood but I'm not sold on the MII conversion.

I know a guy who has '67 shock towers in his '65. It's more work, but the end result is very clean. I've been thinking of doing that same mod to my own '65... I want more space under the hood but I'm not sold on the MII conversion.

I was under the impression that the frame rails (entire front subframe) had to be used from the donor car to get the towers further apart.

I have seen a 70 Stang front subframe used to get a 460 in a Maverick.
The towers are not different enough to truely make any room.
It's the frame rails that set the tower clearance, position, and the track width.

I brought up the Maverick conversion because the engine bay, track width, and rail width are almost identical dimensions to a 65-66 Stang.

Of course the 70 subframe in the narrower car meant that a little more backspace was needed on the front rims. Just as if you put a 67-70 rear in a 65-66.