shocks install

millatime

Oct 23, 2003
Palm Harbor, FL
I am so frustrated right now its not even funny. I have the front struts done and they went on with no problems. I get to the back thinking theres only two bolts so it will be easy, and I can't get the top nut off. I have done everything from using channel lock pliers on the top of the bolt like it says to do in the haynes manual to using an impact gun...neither worked. What am I doing wrong?

• Sponsors (?)

Is the thing by any chance rusted into place ? If so, or if you can't get the sucker to break loose, you need to hit it with some WD-40 and I mean lots of it. Then, let is set for a while(like an hour) and come back and try again.

If it aint breaking loose with an impact gun, then I don't know what to tell you.

The shaft on the shock will spin when you try to undo the nut at the top... I got my dad to grab the shock shaft with some vise grip pliers while I undid the nut. Came off in no time then... :nice:

Edit: just realized that you said you tried gripping the top of the shaft... not sure. It could still be spinning, that would be my bet. I'd have someone else hold the shift from the bottom side.

99SilverGT said:
The shaft on the shock will spin when you try to undo the nut at the top... I got my dad to grab the shock shaft with some vise grip pliers while I undid the nut. Came off in no time then... :nice:

my problem is that when I hold the shock shaft with vise grips, it just turns...and I can't get these things any tighter

Hmm... tough to say. It was hard to get them tight enough, but we finally did. Isn't the nut at the top just a nylon lock nut? It should get stuck or be THAT hard to remove. If all else fails you might just want to get someone bottom side with the biggest set of pliers you can get hold of.

Hey Millatime, how about some sandpaper in the vise grips to increase friction and so maybe it will hold? You are holding the piston rod in the trunk, right? (I'm not sure if it's squared off on top or just threaded, but either way, I'd think you be able to get a grip on it. That's what the Haynes Manual shows, page 10-6, fig 10.3. Let me know if you need some help...maybe tomorrow I can lend you a hand (literally)! Seriously, PM me if you need some help...I don't have anything going on tomorrow (and, if you remember, I'm right here in Palm Harbor too)

I just now got to thinking about it. You and you dad need to eat your Wheaties more often lol j/k.

Seriously though, put some leather gloves on as that will help with grip. Also, loosen the bolt with some wd-40 like I said and this time, try to have your dad turn the shaft the opposite way while you loosen the bolt. The combined opposing forces might make it budge. Remember, they are in there tight for a reason as this is what absorbes the shock for the rear of the car.

Dark Knight GT said:
I just now got to thinking about it. You and you dad need to eat your Wheaties more often lol j/k.

Not to be disrespectful, but the same thing came to my mind... :D

WD-40 is your friend... and so is leverage. Get a long ass open end wrench for the nut. The top of the shock bolt should have either a slot for a flathead screwdriver or it will be flattened for a clamping device. Use the appropiate tool with the long wench and give it some elbow grease.

It almost sounds as if you are trying to hold the shock shaft and not the bolt. You'll never get a good grip on the shaft.

well I have it all finished...turned out that the nut was crossthreaded onto the shock, so that was why I was having so much trouble. I ended up taking a dremel took and cutting off the top of the bolt with the nut on it and hammering the rest of it out. The other side came out within a matter of minutes.