Should I use pushrod guide plate?

wildmandave

Sep 15, 2005
largo,FL
I recently bought crane cams link bar roller lifters for my 351w (1970 block). The instructions didn't say anything about re-using the pushrod guide plate but it seems to interfere with the link bars. These roller lifters are very expensive so I don't want to mess them up. A friend told me that these were the way to go instead of boring out the lifter holes and that I would get more top end because the lifters wouldn't float like flat tappet lifters do. Don't worry I just bolted in a new cam and put a steel gear on the dizzy.Should I use or lose the guide plate? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't see how it would interfer with the pushrod guide plates. Unless your talking about the spider hold down plate and dogbones for the lifters. In that case you don't need the spider or the dogbones for Crane Link Bar lifters.

Troy

It sound like you are confused between pushrod guide plates and the liftert gally spider. Guide plates fit under the rockerarm studs to hold the pushrod in place keeping the rocker from twisting off the valve stem. The spider & dogbones are ment to retain the lifter in the bore. Those are very nice lifters and I'm pretty sure they don't require the spider plate. FYI, valve float has more to do with your valve springs than lifters. You will most likely need guide plates for your heads unless you use the stock rockers.

scarless said:
It sound like you are confused between pushrod guide plates and the liftert gally spider. Guide plates fit under the rockerarm studs to hold the pushrod in place keeping the rocker from twisting off the valve stem. The spider & dogbones are ment to retain the lifter in the bore. Those are very nice lifters and I'm pretty sure they don't require the spider plate. FYI, valve float has more to do with your valve springs than lifters. You will most likely need guide plates for your heads unless you use the stock rockers.
You were right I was asking about the spider plate and dogbones. I am rinning tfs heads and scorpian 1.6 rockers. So I should be ok then, right?