Should I worry about this?

1fast03pony

Jul 1, 2003
New york
So I ordered VT Stage II heads and VT Stage I cams this weekend, along with BBK longtubes and a shorty O/R X.
All of the goods are shipping UPS ground (cheapest option). Should I worry about my stuff being damaged, especially the heads? Should I change the shipping method to 3 day select to avoid the constant loading and unloading of the ground method?
What do you think? Has anyone ever had a problem with this kind of stuff being shipped UPS?

• Sponsors (?)

Ummm.....if your vendor packages them right...they should be fine. If they don't, then a replacement will be on their dime. Make sure you're home when they're delivered....if the boxes are all fugged up, just refuse the shipment.

DocG2828 said:
Ummm.....if your vendor packages them right...they should be fine. If they don't, then a replacement will be on their dime. Make sure you're home when they're delivered....if the boxes are all fugged up, just refuse the shipment.

I ordered them from VT directly. I hope they pack them well! Plus they're being shipped to my girlfriend's house. I probably wont be home when they get there.. but I trust her to check the boxes for damage

I'm sure VT has plenty of experience shipping and packing their own products. If they had repeated damage to heads from ground shipping, they probably wouldn't offer it. They know if the product is damaged the customer won't be happy. Besides, heads are pretty solid components...probably don't damage that easy. More likely to get a bent header than a damaged head.

Do the heads come ready to bolt-on or do you have to doublecheck all the specs first?

Well, it specifies that theyre complete with ferrea stainless valves and comp springs... but I believe I have to reuse my stock rockers and lifters. Other than that, I just have to install the cam and bolt it all up. Can you degree a cam with the stock (bolt on) cam gears?

Make sure VT opted for shipping insurance and declared a value.

I get 75% off FedEx and they could have it here the day after VT ships it. Trust me, I'd hold on to your stuff for you :cool:

1fast03pony said:
Well, it specifies that theyre complete with ferrea stainless valves and comp springs... but I believe I have to reuse my stock rockers and lifters. Other than that, I just have to install the cam and bolt it all up. Can you degree a cam with the stock (bolt on) cam gears?

NOPE unfortunatly....give VT a call and order adjustable cam gears :nice: .

And congrats on the purchase...im turning green right now LOL. SAY HELLO TO SOME POWA! (BTW why didnt you opt for stg 2 cams? The heads would have made up for their lack of lowend torque...and the springs are already installed. Emessions maybe?)

hotmustang331 said:
NOPE unfortunatly....give VT a call and order adjustable cam gears :nice: .

And congrats on the purchase...im turning green right now LOL. SAY HELLO TO SOME POWA! (BTW why didnt you opt for stg 2 cams? The heads would have made up for their lack of lowend torque...and the springs are already installed. Emessions maybe?)

I just spoke to my cousin, and he said the cams shouldn't need to be degreed if youre not screwing with the timing. They should both be straight up.. If I dont want to advance or retard the cams, can't I just install them without degreeing them, or will they have to be adjusted to make each cam the same?

Thanks, I'm excited beyond belief! :nice:
I know the heads would make up for the low end torque lost by the stage IIs, but if it means anything I'm trying to keep this setup as discreet as possible, although Ill have a pretty loud exhaust. The stage II's hit pretty hard, which is awesome, when you dont care who knows about it :)
Im only staying n/a for a little longer, at which time I think Im going to add a Kenne bell. I wanted to do it all at once and throw a blower cam in, but it would hurt my wallet too much at the moment, so I opted to open the motor up a bit and get some power to hold me over until the blower... not to mention these mods complement forced induction (except the cam, which will be swapped).

I finally gave in- coming up on three years of having this car, and reading everyone adding cams, heads, blowers, longtubes, gears... I finally decided to drop the hammer and join the 300rwhp crowd. I couldnt take it anymore! :D

You better believe pics and vids are coming within the month!

1fast03pony said:
Im only staying n/a for a little longer, at which time I think Im going to add a Kenne bell. I wanted to do it all at once and throw a blower cam in, but it would hurt my wallet too much at the moment, so I opted to open the motor up a bit and get some power to hold me over until the blower... not to mention these mods complement forced induction (except the cam, which will be swapped).
He know's that.