Show me your spirited street/road track suspension

DNA DOA

Apr 3, 2005
Scappoose
Setting up my 89 coupe for Summer daily driving. I want a spirited street/mild road track suspension set up. I know I could go with a complete MM kit or Griggs but there are other options. What did you guys do to your Fox maybe to save a little money, parts that worked just as well, pros and cons?

We could spend hours talking about wheel and tire selection as well but for now I plan on going with the Cobra 10th ann. wheels 9" up front and 10" in back. I have not made a decision on tire selection at this time.

Thanks for your time and help. SEMPER FI :salute:

Ben

• Sponsors (?)

PICT0147.jpg

PICT0147.jpg

PICT0148.jpg

PICT0162.jpg

It all depends on what you are willing to live with in terms of harshness while on the road.

Some FACTS:
1) The Ford engineers know a zillion times more info on the Stang suspension than ANY other company.
2) ALL suspension setup are compromises.
3) For street use and best overall handling FORD went to 600lb springs with the max possible intelligent drop - ~1/2" (Mach) or ~3/4" (bullet). (while using the stock kframe, FCAs, etc)
4) For pure full race only car, Ford STILL kept the the max possible intelligent drop ~3/4" (95 Cobra R) with 850 springs. (while using the stock kframe, FCAs, etc)

Doing anything more requires non trivial and expensive suspension mods. Also, IMHO, none those mods will have the operating lifespan of the Ford OEM setup. But, I also doubt that anyone is looking at driving a Fox 8K-12K miles/year. :) Still, there are also time-based degradation issues in components. And, don't expect any handling mod/upgrade to last as long as your OEM '89 parts did (now 20+ years! :-O).

Below is my car. In waiting, I also have battle boxes, stiffer rear springs, and MM adj rear control arms. But, this winter has been so snowy and cold, I'm not going to have time to put them in during this winter like I planned. Oh well, there's always next winter's down time.
Mustang 86 - Mach1 Springs

My Stang is my late-spring/summer/early-fall daily driver (assuming no snow, etc).

BTW: Measure your fender height now. Then, when you get the tons of pure BS advice about lowering your car more than 1" (without an MM K-frame, FCAs, etc), ask "what's your fender height, what rim width are you running, what size tire, what model, what's the tire's height when mounted and properly inflated".

You'll find that most people don't have a clue on how much their POS car is really lowered. Nor, do they have any clue on how much jounce they have left in their front suspension, nor the amount of force required to cause their car to go to full jounce. When talking about driving a car on real life streets, those are very basic considerations in a car's suspension.

Good Luck!

Go AF!
nav_03.jpg

It's not Science Fiction,
It's what we do it every day.
:)

For pure full race only car, Ford STILL kept the the max possible intelligent drop ~3/4" (95 Cobra R) with 850 springs. (while using the stock kframe, FCAs, etc)

Yeah, a cobra R is not a race only car. Its a street car with emphasis on racing. Very different than say griswolds car
griswold.jpg

Or the fr500
2009_MustangFR500S_Pic.jpg

THOSE are race only cars.

Also i wouldnt say that OEM parts will last 20 years, i know the bushings and control arms i took out of my car didnt. Solid bushings and tubular welded steel will last FAR longer.

Shaolin, how harsh is your ride on the street with the TA? Did you notice that the ride got any worse when you installed it? I really like the benefits compared to a 4-link rear end, but my car will see a lot of street time, so I'm a bit concerned about the ride.

Tell all... Especially exhaust. Did you have to modify your exhaust for the torque arm? What exhaust do you run?
****ty cell phone pic, i went with this setup because its light
Aug16_0002.jpg

The MM Heavy Duty Torque Arm requires exhaust modification, IIRC.

@GroverDill, Link to a build thread or something? That is a sweet underside!
Its not as bad as people think, it will clear most x pipes and h pipes
For possible street driving. I know, you probably aren't supposed to drive on the streets with the torque arms on.
Its a 3 link, camaros and firebirds have TA and PHB setups from the factory, just like the S197 is a 3 link, nothing wrong with running a TA on the street
why would more grip be a bad thing on the streets?
Exactly
You do realize Fbodies came from the factory with torque arms dont you?
Exactly